What to Feed, What to Feed...

mycritter

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
I have three 9 week old pullets. Right now I have them on Arrow medicated starter, which I am unhappy with. It is medicated with antibiotics, which I did not realize when I bought it (newbie here). Also, I don't like what happens to the spilled feed. It forms a thick layer on the grass, which is really hard to get up and it grows something furry on it after a few days. It also stinks.

I can't wait for this stuff to run out so I can get something else, but what should I get? I don't mind paying the extra $ for something less stinky and more healthy. I know Purina and Nutrena are available at feed stores in this area, but if there are better brands you'd recommend, I can search for them too.

Are pellets less messy? What do you prefer?

Also, I'm still using my chick feeders, which the pullets are knock over daily. What kinds of feeders and water containers do you recommend?

Oh, I let the girls out in the yard for 2-6 hours everyday, if that has any bearing on your advice.

ETA:grammar

Last edited:
Where you are located will decide what is available. I'm feeding Scratch and Peck brand and I'm very happy with it. It's organic, non-gmo, corn and soy free. My youngest are over 8 weeks so I've been feeding the "grower" to the pullets and the "Layer" to the hens. They also make a 3 grain (corn free) scratch that my guys are loving. There are several choices like this for me in my area, but from what I have read here, that is not so in all areas.

I'm in Louisiana. I just googled Scratch and Feed, and it is not available in my area
sad.png

DuMor is fine. Priced a few cents cheaper than Purina, it's maker, and sold to TSC has their house brand.

Of course, your birds are too young for layer feed, so I'd buy the grower. Also, I suspect your chick feed had amprollium, which is merely a blocker against cocci. It would be highly unusual for chick feed to contain an anti-biotic. I've never seen that.

Last edited:
Just to add my two cents, I use a hanging feeder and waterer, which they spill much less often than when I had ones that just sat on the ground. If you put the feeder so they have to almost stand on tip-toes to reach (little higher than back level), they don't toss it out as much. Pellets are awesome for pullets and also cut down on waste.

DuMor is fine. Priced a few cents cheaper than Purina, it's maker, and sold to TSC has their house brand.

Of course, your birds are too young for layer feed, so I'd buy the grower. Also, I suspect your chick feed had amprollium, which is merely a blocker against cocci. It would be highly unusual for chick feed to contain an anti-biotic. I've never seen that.
There is only one thing that is put in some feeds that I would consider a Antibiotic and that is BMD which treats for a bacteria/ spore called Clostridium Colinum[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif].[/FONT]
http://www.poultrymed.com/ftp/pub/BMD.pdf

Chris

Last edited:
The active ingredient is Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate, which I was told is an antibiotic.

Thank you for the link, Chris. I'm glad to read that BMD has a distinctive odor. I'm looking forward to a less stinky feed.

Back
Top Bottom