Kalista Potter

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
Hello i have a sick chicken that is acting off.
Her symptoms are
Not eating but she's drinking lots of water.
Lethargic and sits down.
Only see her sometimes walking around.
Slightly hunched and fluffed but hard to say when she just sits down.
Her poo consists of a waterty white with solid green here and there.
* photo shown of her poo below.
Her crop is also taking its time to empty in over 2 days i was thinking impact crop but I'm unsure.
She's not completely quite and does talk here and there when she walks around a bit

What could cause a poo like this?
Is this maybe a bacterial infection? Like samonla?
Should I treat her with oxymav B if it is bacterial?

Could this also be worms?

Please help can use all the info i can get

Attachments

• Snapchat-1510055426.jpg
    Snapchat-1510055426.jpg
    689.5 KB · Views: 31
How old is she? Does she lay eggs? What does the crop feel like early in the morning before she eats or drinks? Is it full and hard, dough-like, or puffy? Can you take some fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal float? If she has a crop disorder, such as sour crop, antibiotics might make it worse. You could try some miconazole antifungal cream given orally twice a day, and some chilled coconut oil offered to peck at. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? What does the crop feel like early in the morning before she eats or drinks? Is it full and hard, dough-like, or puffy? Can you take some fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal float? If she has a crop disorder, such as sour crop, antibiotics might make it worse. You could try some miconazole antifungal cream given orally twice a day, and some chilled coconut oil offered to peck at. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She's 1 year's old and a isa brown
She's has laid before but not recently that i know of when she does she sometimes lays soft egg shells
Her crop feels hard but not rock hard so frim it has gone down since the morning. Late arvo here Now, she's been wanting to eat her seed but i didn't allow her.
Should she have cooked vegetables?
Her poos are still the same

I Can't take her to the vet
Would nilstat work just as well as i have this on hand from my other chicken in the pass who had sour crop

Yes, nilstat or nystatin is very good antifungal medicine. Since ISA browns are excellent layers for a few years, I would think that her shell-less eggs were a sign of reproductive problems. Is she molting or has she molted this year? Do you feed a balanced chicken feed, provide crushed oyster shell for calcium, or grit for digestion? I would stop seeds, whole grains, and veg. while she is having crop problems. Instead offer mushy chicken feed with a lot of water, plain yogurt, and a bit of egg.

Crop problems may be related to her reproductive issue. I would give some calcium with vitamin D for her eggs, and make sure that she has oyster shell and grit for her gizzard to work. Check her crop every morning to see if it is emptying.

Yes, nilstat or nystatin is very good antifungal medicine. Since ISA browns are excellent layers for a few years, I would think that her shell-less eggs were a sign of reproductive problems. Is she molting or has she molted this year? Do you feed a balanced chicken feed, provide crushed oyster shell for calcium, or grit for digestion? I would stop seeds, whole grains, and veg. while she is having crop problems. Instead offer mushy chicken feed with a lot of water, plain yogurt, and a bit of egg.

Crop problems may be related to her reproductive issue. I would give some calcium with vitamin D for her eggs, and make sure that she has oyster shell and grit for her gizzard to work. Check her crop every morning to see if it is emptying.
Ok thankyou

Yes it could be a reproductive issue yes she has molted around early this year but hasn't since,
yes i Always provide a balanced chicken feed.
Ok ill try that i do have shell grit but i don't have oyster shell, and I'm not exactly sure were you could get it as where i do get my grain for my chickens i don't think they have oyster shells there.

Back
Top Bottom