What's a good price for DE Diatomaceous Earth

"The DE has much less Calcium and Ca is just present as a trace mineral, if at all. It doesn't make sense that DE would fulfill a carving for the calcium that the chalk was providing. Do you hear what I am saying here?"

Yep, but is scared me more that someone would actually consume it than worry about its nutritional value and scarier still a loved one purchased it for you and gave it to you as a treat. Honey I am home~~ brought you some roses and...chalk???

yeah surely scary, I've heard the eating thing before and I always like to explain what these folks are really doing . . . wish I could remember the word for people who eat clay & stuff . . . anybody medical on here know? I think I'll try to find that website you found that. . . see what is going on there . . . do you have a link?

I got a 50lb bag for $27.50 at Western Ranchman on 32nd north of Greenway.
Pratts sell the exact same thing for $45.

We don't shop at Pratt's anymore.

Quote:
It was a review for DE and I would have to search for it which would take to much time. I went to many, many sites. I know people eat it and that there is a name for it. I just thought the behavior odd especially in the buying of and allowing to eat in this day and age when there are Dr.s and the internet to get you the help you need. She was pregnant, I think I would have consulted SOMETHING before consuming and gifting it and then telling people about it....

I eat DE - PermaGuard food grade DE. It gets rid of little crusty skin cancers on my arm...when I stop eating it, the little cancers come back. It also fades away the age spots on the back of my hands. It kills parasites (internal and external) - I have had both and I have to credit DE for getting rid of the critters. It helps to harden my fingernails - they don't break off nearly as much as they used to. Different DE's have different percentages of minerals. I buy it in the 2.5 lb. plastic jugs. If you don't love flies, put it in your chicken feed and sprinkle it on the floor of your hen house and in the pecking pen. Has not harmed my cheekens in any way. I don't know what the word is for people who eat DE. I don't eat clay - I don't buy the kind of DE that contains bentonite (isn't that some kind of clay?) I think RedLake out of Canada has the bentonite in it. I use the white powder. I was told by the man I buy the DE from that DE is ineffective when wet, so I don't know how it can get rid of internal parasites. When it is dry, under an electron microscope, it has lots of sharp craggy points on each tiny piece of DE, and it scrapes the bug it comes into contact with, causing it to dehydrate and die. I am not afraid of DE - I am very afraid of polluted air, dirty water, pesticides on my food, and bottle rockets. I don't like trains or bears either, but I have no fear of DE.
big_smile.png

OT - I know the word for eating clay, chalk, etc - it's Pica. Here's the wikipedia definition:

Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., clay, coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt).[1] In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird which is reputed to eat almost anything.[2] Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women, small children, and those with developmental disabilities.

Pica in children, while common, can be dangerous. Children eating painted plaster containing lead may suffer brain damage from lead poisoning. There is a similar risk from eating dirt near roads that existed prior to the phaseout of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline (in some countries) or prior to the cessation of the use of contaminated oil (either used, or containing toxic PCBs or dioxin) to settle dust. In addition to poisoning, there is also a much greater risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction or tearing in the stomach[citation needed]. This is also true in animals. Another risk of dirt eating is the possible ingestion of animal feces and the accompanying parasites. Pica can also be found in animals, and is most commonly found in dogs.

I ate paper from the time I was 9 until I was pregnant with my third child. I would eat my dinner napkin or the stick from my lollipop when no one was looking. It was totally bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom