What's the best feed for breeding chickens?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
We keep a mixed flock of ducks, a few standard chickens/roosters and bantams. We would like to hatch out some chicks and ducklings from our chickens/ducks this spring. I've her the parents should be fed a better diet to hatch healthy chicks. I can't find much on it though. What is the best feed for this?

A 20% ish protein, 1% ish calcium flock raiser or grower feed. Supplemented with oyster shell. I use it for all my birds except my pigeons. Any brand works (though I wouldn't recommend Purina). Personally I find Bar Ale to be the absolute best brand I've ever found - use it for every one of my birds and never had an issue - amazing quality, always fresh, local ingredients, local company. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it.

Last edited:
A 20% ish protein, 1% ish calcium flock raiser or grower feed. Supplemented with oyster shell. I use it for all my birds except my pigeons. Any brand works (though I wouldn't recommend Purina). Personally I find Bar Ale to be the absolute best brand I've ever found - use it for every one of my birds and never had an issue - amazing quality, always fresh, local ingredients, local company. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it.

Upping the protein is the first thing as mentioned above. If you are looking for sustained egg production where hens producing eggs do not stop to incubate, then use supplemental calcium. If hens expected to go broody then no additional calcium. Make certain feed is extra fresh and stored in a cool dry place. I also mix in paprika and even a little vegetable oil or whole egg to act as wetting agent to keep dust down.

Free-range is a less demanding.

Upping the protein is the first thing as mentioned above. If you are looking for sustained egg production where hens producing eggs do not stop to incubate, then use supplemental calcium. If hens expected to go broody then no additional calcium. Make certain feed is extra fresh and stored in a cool dry place. I also mix in paprika and even a little vegetable oil or whole egg to act as wetting agent to keep dust down.

Free-range is a less demanding.

Thanks guys. We have a few egg layers but the majority are ornamental. Should this diet just be for the chickens or do I change my ducks over to it too? Also we do free range but our landscape is pretty dry right now so not alot for them to get out of it. Fall is here so once the rain cone things will start getting green again. Should I be giving them any vitamin supplements or anything like that?

Thanks guys. We have a few egg layers but the majority are ornamental. Should this diet just be for the chickens or do I change my ducks over to it too? Also we do free range but our landscape is pretty dry right now so not alot for them to get out of it. Fall is here so once the rain cone things will start getting green again. Should I be giving them any vitamin supplements or anything like that?

IMO any flock that contains anything besides mature laying hens should be on a flock ration. The protein and calcium levels in layer really aren't correct for roosters, ducks, non-laying or low production hens, young birds, etc. The best thing to feed any flock is really a good quality grower/raiser. The extra protein isn't ever gonna hurt anybody and is usually quite beneficial, and there's no way for a bird who doesn't lay or isn't currently in production to consume too much calcium because she's controlling her own levels with oyster shell.

A good quality feed should contain all the vitamins they need, but a bit of supplementation isn't gonna hurt them. I use NutriDrench as a pick me up in sickly birds. I have way too many birds to give it to the whole flock on a regular basis, but I'm sure it would be plenty good for them every so often.

IMO any flock that contains anything besides mature laying hens should be on a flock ration. The protein and calcium levels in layer really aren't correct for roosters, ducks, non-laying or low production hens, young birds, etc. The best thing to feed any flock is really a good quality grower/raiser. The extra protein isn't ever gonna hurt anybody and is usually quite beneficial, and there's no way for a bird who doesn't lay or isn't currently in production to consume too much calcium because she's controlling her own levels with oyster shell.

A good quality feed should contain all the vitamins they need, but a bit of supplementation isn't gonna hurt them. I use NutriDrench as a pick me up in sickly birds. I have way too many birds to give it to the whole flock on a regular basis, but I'm sure it would be plenty good for them every so often.

We have nutridrench and save a chick on hand already for when a single bird needs a pick me up. I thought I heard ducks need a lower protein diet but I really can't remember. We free feed oyster shell already with flock raiser.I just do alot of hatching and have seen the complications vitamin definitelys can cause in chicks whose parentage were missing things. Don't want to make the same mistake with my own flock. :)

We keep a mixed flock of ducks, a few standard chickens/roosters and bantams. We would like to hatch out some chicks and ducklings from our chickens/ducks this spring. I've her the parents should be fed a better diet to hatch healthy chicks. I can't find much on it though. What is the best feed for this?
I would suggest feeding Purina Layena to your hens and Purina Flock Raiser to your roosters. Those are both high-quality feeds that will provide your flock with the necessary nutrients to keep your birds and eggs as healthy as possible when paired with good management practices. Now, if you are not a Purina-person (I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be!), look for a feed that is complete. Most national brands of poultry feed are going to provide the proper nutrition for your flock to maintain proper flock health. Be sure that you are feeding the hens a layer feed, and the roosters an appropriate feed. Roosters should not be eating laying hen feed – too much calcium!

[COLOR=1F497D]I would suggest feeding Purina Layena to your hens and Purina Flock Raiser to your roosters.  Those are both high-quality feeds that will provide your flock with the necessary nutrients to keep your birds and eggs as healthy as possible when paired with good management practices.  Now, if you are not a Purina-person (I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be!), look for a feed that is complete.  Most national brands of poultry feed are going to provide the proper nutrition for your flock to maintain proper flock health.  Be sure that you are feeding the hens a layer feed, and the roosters an appropriate feed.  Roosters should not be eating laying hen feed – too much calcium![/COLOR]

Thanks. We don't feed layer feed because of the I'll effects for our roosters. :)

Not a practical solution if the whole flock lives together. Best to just offer one feed that is safe for everyone and set out some crushed oyster shell for those that need it.

Thanks. We feed them flock raiser right now and do offer oyster shell to the side. Is that enough to hatch healthy ducklings and chicks?

Thanks. We don't feed layer feed because of the I'll effects for our roosters.
smile.png

Thanks. We feed them flock raiser right now and do offer oyster shell to the side. Is that enough to hatch healthy ducklings and chicks?
It will do just fine. I feed my flock the same. Just had 5 babies hatch under a broody hen last week. All healthy and strong.

Back
Top Bottom