What's the temperature where you are???

You misspelled dead.
Which is what my truck was as I forgot to plug poor Ol Blue in one night! The battery froze, I lost all the programming for my Ford Sync, no GPS which is helpful on ice roads and logging roads, no radio, no clock, only had the basics of lights, and speedometer, odometer….

Had to drive 3 hrs to town to get reprogrammed. A whole days pay lost because of my stupidity! Learnt my lesson, now I plug it in if it’s going to be below -10C.

Thursday 1st February 10.42a.m. Breezy and warm, patchy cloud. Light wind 13 / 16.7 kph NE, Hg 52%, Temp is 22.3c / 72.1F heading for 26c / 79F.

Moon is 64%

Saturday, 3 Feb​

Hazardous Surf Warning for:

Byron Coast, Coffs Coast, Macquarie Coast, Hunter Coast, Sydney Coast, Illawarra Coast, Batemans Coast and Eden Coast

NSW Police Force, Marine Area Command advise that:
  • People should consider staying out of the water and avoid walking near surf-exposed areas.
  • Rock fishers should avoid coastal rock platforms exposed to the ocean and seek a safe location that is sheltered from the surf.
  • Boaters planning to cross shallow water and ocean bars should consider changing or delaying their voyage.
  • Boaters already on the water should carry the appropriate safety equipment and wear a lifejacket.
  • Boaters should remember to log on with their local Marine Rescue radio base, via VHF Radio or the Marine Rescue APP, and consider their safety management plan.
So I had to go searching for why such a warning was put in place.

Map shows extent of wild weather as heavy surf set to batter NSW​

Surfers and swimmers are being told to stay out of the ocean as waves up to 4m are set to batter the shore in parts of Australia.

Parts of Australia are set to be battered by wild weather and heavy surf as a low-pressure system brings wet weather to the country’s south.

A low-pressure system is sweeping through multiple states and is set to affect NSW, Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia.

Powerful surf will batter the central and southern parts of NSW, with waves of 3-4m expected to hit on Friday and Saturday.

In Sydney, wave heights are expected to peak at 4.5m over the weekend, creating rough seas off the city’s coast.

Swimmers are advised to stay out of the water. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gaye Gerard

Swimmers are advised to stay out of the water. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gaye Gerard

All the surfers will be waxing their boards :cool:
Wow that’s a heavy sea as my grandmother would say. 22C you say - nice I can dream of that warmth but won’t get that for a few more
months.

Thanks for sharing - it’s interesting to hear about the other side of the planet where it’s summer.

Which is what my truck was as I forgot to plug poor Ol Blue in one night! The battery froze, I lost all the programming for my Ford Sync, no GPS which is helpful on ice roads and logging roads, no radio, no clock, only had the basics of lights, and speedometer, odometer….

Had to drive 3 hrs to town to get reprogrammed. A whole days pay lost because of my stupidity! Learnt my lesson, now I plug it in if it’s going to be below -10C.
Ice roads? No.... I'd rather deal with tornadoes hurricanes and earthquakes than having to drive on a road that has the potential to disappear underneath me. 😖

Ice roads? No.... I'd rather deal with tornadoes hurricanes and earthquakes than having to drive on a road that has the potential to disappear underneath me. 😖
They are very safe, about 5’ of ice/ frost usually, they flood the ones over rivers so that they remain frozen. The ones over muskeg they keep plowed and the ice gets very thick from vehicles passing over it pounding the frost in.

I do similar here going up to the barn, it’s just sod, but first snow I drive over top and flatten the snow down so that it hardens solid, the ground under that hard packed snow then also freezes because there is no insulation layer of fluffy snow. This makes it easier to plow if I get a couple feet of snow, otherwise if the ground wasn’t frozen the plow blade tears great chunks out of the turf. That’s how an ice road is built, they can go over turf, muskeg/swamp, a river, but the process is the same, clear or flatten the snow so the ground freezes or in the case of a river flood with water (pumps are setup to pull water from the river and flood itself), keep fresh snow off of it to prevent any insulation layer from protecting from freezing, here in really cold winters I will pile fresh snow over top my peach trees roots and my rhododendrons - one year I actually buried them in snow to protect them, we had such a snowy cold winter. Snow is a great insulator.

Back
Top Bottom