What's wrong with my 8 week old chicken???

Kaya1995

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2016
I found her hanging with her head by the food dispenser yesterday and imideatly removed her from the rest of the flock. She's been sitting looking like she's got trouble breathing since that.. I've been emptying her crop regulary and giving her oil, but it doesn't seem to help much.. gave her some egg to eat today, and water. She's eating, but seems to be struggling. Her stool seems normal. What could this be? :(

Sorry about your chicken. I would not give her more oil or empty her crop, since a crop problem doesn't sound like it is her main problem. Do you know how long she may have been hanging like that? I would suspect that she probably struggled for a bit, and maybe the hanging upside down has caused her breathing problem. She also could have injured herself struggling. I found a pullet once hanging by the foot from the handle of the waterer, and she had alread given up fighting. She revived pretty quickly luckily. I would feel around her chest and neck for any balloon-like areas which might indicate air trapped under her skin (leaking air sac.) that can cause difficulty breathing, kind of like a collapsed lung in people. Otherwise, I would keep her quiet, alone in a crate or pen with food and water, and make her comfortable. Try to get her eating and drinking. Supportive care is about all that can be done.

Back
Top Bottom