What's wrong with my silkie?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I have a buff silkie I bought early March. Ever since I brought it home it does a weird neck thing. It looks sorta like when you do a wave with your arm over and over. I've never seen anything like this before. Is it normal for silkies to have neck issues? I should try and take a video of it later today. I think the silkie is a pullet since it doesn't have any wattles yet, but I could be wrong.

Here's a photo of Apple
FA97F72F-7236-483F-A39A-B5250CDD49D3-370-000000129C3EE245_zps8cd4dbb7.jpg

Wry neck is common in silkies. Here is the info I found:

Wry Neck (Crooked Neck)
A bent neck can be a genetic condition or can be the result of a vitamin deficiency. When it is the result of a genetic condition, there is no treatment. Some breeds, such as silkies, are more prone to getting it genetically. Vitamin treatment is still worth a try. If the wry neck is a result of vitamin deficiency, the vitamin treatment should clear it up.
Vitamin E gel caps with Selenium - give the chicken the liquid from the gel caps. Make sure to get the kind with Selenium for proper absorption.
Polyvisol without iron - this is a liquid vitamin supplement labeled for infants. Get it at the drug store or some grocery stores. Can be used in addition to vitamin E when treating wry neck.
A more comprehensive treatment:
First week:
Twice a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E
Once a day
A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)
For the second week:
Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E
Every other day
For the following weeks:
Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E
Every third day
Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose gradually.
Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at least.

Hi I have silkies too and one of mine has wry neck right now. What's going on with your bird is the beginning of wry neck. Don't be alarmed if she starts to sit on her head or do flips. That's the condition but since you caught it early enough this might not happen to her. Above post is exactly correct with the treatment and you should follow it to a tee! Its been about 5 days for me since I found my bird sitting on her head litteraly. Don't give up and have patients. My bird went from not being able to eat but only with a syringe to now eating herself as long as I hold up her bowl. She is also drinking now. So have patients and follow the medication advice. Separate her so she has less stress. Since you caught this in the beginning recovery should be faster for your bird. If you have any questions at all please PM me I'd be happy to help you in any way I can or if you just need to talk I'm here. Your not alone with wry neck. If you need any advice on the meds or.anything please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I wish you the best of luck. God bless.

I've had 3 chicks with wry neck and the silkie does not show symptoms of wry neck. It's head is straight unless it's doing the "wave". I automatically treat all my chicks with vitamins and probios until they move to the coop. It's more like a tick, but wavy. I haven't had the time to video it yet and I'm riding my stationary bike right now.

One of my blue wheaten Ameraucana's was hatched with wry neck. It was the worse case I've seen. I successfully treated her, but it took a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom