What's your dream?

Aug 18, 2021
I live in far northern Maine for the last 7 years and i confess i hate it. I'm headed back to Louisiana soon. My dream place will have a 10' high hurricane fence where my chick's can "free range" without fear. Some of those fancy coops, maybe. Where they (and i) can go outside without freezing nine months out of the year. Chickens HATE snow and won't go out in it. Y'all know that? And did i mention the bugs? omg. The deer and moose flies are like winged piranha 2 of the only 4 snow free months here. Literally life wrapped like a mummy and in shoulder length head netting. Obviously you can't wrap chickens, so for those times they spend inside screened in runs.
While i have a large property here, in the middle of 2000 uninhabited acres, we are under constant assault. Foxes and coons, eagles and hawks, and last year a bear ripped my entire door off my coop. That was fun. I cant free range. I can't have a dog (allergies).
So what's your dream chicken place?
I want a big mostly clear couple acres under 10' fence, (gotta have some fruit trees!) sweet coops - fancy ones. And be able to let them out, without standing guard like I'm back in iraq.
That's my dream chicken setup. Anyone else got one?

It's good to have dreams of better places and things and especially when those change into short-term goals.

As my signature states...I did it!

We have 2.5 acres that border a forest, and took our first year of losses to understand we needed to do something, so we got two dogs (sorry you can't) and dozens of solar motion lights and heavy-duty wind spinners.

There are a lot of hypoallergenic dogs. Obviously, some would be better for chickens and some would be horrendous.

I hope someday in the near future you get closer to your dream. ❤️

My dream is about ten rolling acres of farmland, dotted with trees, and a creek running through. Doubt the chickens would wander to the edge of the property but at any rate I'd put up an electric fence around the perimeter.
These ten acres would probably be located in southern Virginia, where it's warm but not too hot (a couple of mine wouldn't make it in Louisiana without air conditioning).

@Snakebiteholloway you should try Maryland/Virginia - it's a little less hot than Louisiana :). But I totally get where you're coming from. If it wasn't for the job market, I'd probably move back to LA myself. I loved the culture!

My dream is about ten rolling acres of farmland, dotted with trees, and a creek running through. Doubt the chickens would wander to the edge of the property but at any rate I'd put up an electric fence around the perimeter.
These ten acres would probably be located in southern Virginia, where it's warm but not too hot (a couple of mine wouldn't make it in Louisiana without air conditioning).

@Snakebiteholloway you should try Maryland/Virginia - it's a little less hot than Louisiana :). But I totally get where you're coming from. If it wasn't for the job market, I'd probably move back to LA myself. I loved the culture!
IM from there originally. I miss the fishing. Gardening, fishing, chickens. My hobbies. The Sabine river area (home) isn't so much cultural, but it's got dang good fishing!

It's good to have dreams of better places and things and especially when those change into short-term goals.

We have 2.5 acres that border a forest, and took our first year of losses to understand we needed to do something, so we got two dogs (sorry you can't) and dozens of solar motion lights and heavy-duty wind spinners.

There are a lot of hypoallergenic dogs. Obviously, some would be better for chickens and some would be horrendous.

I am moving in January. I'll be back in Maine in April for a short time, daughter graduating college. She'll be coming down as well. Not quite sure when though. I'm happy to have this happening but it's stressful. Good stress is still stress, lol. Thinking about (and specific house shopping for) the girls makes it easier and more fun!

Last night's dream was that I was in a pickup truck driving around with another guy with a giant TV in the back. Well, that was this morning before I woke up.
I dreamed my dog was throwing up and what do you know...I sleep through the loudest noise (well, not the fire alarm!) but somehow I can sense she needs me even when everything is quiet.
But this thread was supposed to be about your ideal chicken setup...I guess (don't want to hijack it)! :)

I dreamed my dog was throwing up and what do you know...I sleep through the loudest noise (well, not the fire alarm!) but somehow I can sense she needs me even when everything is quiet.
But this thread was supposed to be about your ideal chicken setup...I guess (don't want to hijack it)! :)
Oh wow. I've never had that happen before to me.

Back
Top Bottom