What's your flock's favorite treat?

Favorite Treats

• Total voters
We free-range our chickens and lock them up at night. Our chickens love squash and whatever bugs they get out in the yard. When we had squash from our garden go bad we give it to chickens, we still have some in February that we haven't eaten yet so out to the chickens it goes.

Of the 4 treats I've given so far: baked potato (white), banana, cooked apple, and popcorn

They go crazy for potatoes, and banana is their second favorite.

They're meh about apples, and they just play with the popcorn.

Our home grown grapes during the Autumn… otherwise, they don’t discriminate! Cucumber, sweet potato, butternut squash, tomatoes, kale, sprouts, oats/banana/cinnamon, sunflower seeds, eggs, worms, grub, “salads” (lots of greens) with garlic and Italian herbs, sour cream, herbs (lemon balm, parsley and calendula esp), sourdough discard…and of course bugs and snakes they forage! They also love ACV water when it’s given!

I voted 'Mealworms/other insects' as mine absolutely love grasshoppers, but hard-boiled eggs are a very close second, and less work.
(think of me running around the paddock chasing grasshoppers...!)
That’s good to know. I’ve given mine scrambled eggs but never hard boiled. I’m gonna try that today. Thanks for sharing🙂

Mine also love mealworms, but blueberries come second, especially since I have a dozen bushes right next to the coop. They love it when I turn them loose during berry season. I say the top ones are for the birds, the bottom ones for the chickens and rabbits, the rest are for me.

I have to admit, I'm stingy with treats. Their most common "treat" is their regular feed, wetted into a mash. It's a great way to use the fine bits that fall to the bottom of the bowl.

But in July and August, Japanese Beetles are hands down the best! I say, "Bug Snack!" and they know what that means and run to the door.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that does that. Lol Every day in late afternoon I take a pot of their crumbles and wet it into an oatmeal like consistency. They LOVE it!!! My husband says babe, you do way too much, they’re just chickens. But if your main source of feed was just like dry cereal wouldn’t you enjoy it better in milk? That’s kinda how I look at it anyway🤣 also the Japanese beetles you give your girls… do you buy those somewhere or like collect them from around your yard😅

I'm working on a school project and need at least 15 people to vote but I have no friends so I'm posting here! :)

My flock goes crazy for grapes. I often give them watermelon in the summer and pumpkins around fall as well.
View attachment 3397921
Although my flock loves all kinds of treats, they go crazy over mealworms. They also love watermelon, but not as much as mealies.

do you buy those somewhere or like collect them from around your yard
July and August are Japanese Beetle months here. I have a personal vendetta against them: they killed my hazelnut trees. I try to go out every day and catch as many as I can.

In case you didn't know: They are so easy to catch. I get a wide mouth container, put about 1" of water in the bottom. When they're disturbed, JB's defense is to let go of whatever they're on, and drop to the ground. I put the container under them, tap the leaf/stem/flower they're on, and they fall in the water. I catch 100-200 a day sometimes.

I’ve only had hens for less than two years, but so far their favorite has been sardines (clean sourced) and arugula lettuce, I’d say they like them both equally! when I feed the sardines I have to watch my fingers…they get kinda crazy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom