Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

the birds have a nice profile not real large wide all the way through nice leg feathering combs are okay good eye color etc they look like jean/wade birds of all my birds any that are wade/jean those have the best egg color as I like the rich reddish hue I have won with their eggs so you should get nice eggs. I wish they didn't have the under fluff the wrong color but I'm hatching from them this year and will choose the better under color and it will help with the white in the wing at least the girls do not have black ticking even if they are a little dark. SOP is my goal also Wheaten is not an easy color but I know that it can be improved as I have New Hampshires same thing nice birds but the color needed work 3 generations later my color is much improved my size is better but the birds I started with were nice just not quite SOP and I still don't think they can beat the German ones but they are improving that's all I care about as I work with what I have and I haven't found a magic wand LOL
Thanks for the feedback!

Several years, maybe even 5-6 years ago now, I ordered wheaten eggs from Fitz Farms. The eggs were not 8s on the true Marans French scale. They were nice colored eggs, but were more like 4s and 5s on the color scale. So many people say they have 8s and 9s in the Wheatens, but I don't think they are actually going by true color chart, and Fitz Farms actually shows their eggs against the non-french chart where it is pretty easy to get a 7 or 8. Most RIRs would qualify for Marans color on that scale.

Take a look at the real color chart: http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/Eggshowinfo.html The photos could be better, but 9s are the color of dark, dark chocolate. A "4" is the color of a dark terracotta pot. Even the eggs at the shows are mostly 5s and 6s of any variety. Occasionally you will see 7s, but not real often.

The chart many use that make it easier to say the color is dark:
http://fitzfarmandpoultry.net/marans-eggs.html

On top of that, I paid $120 for two dozen eggs that arrived a little dirty and out of 28 eggs, 2 hatched. Both roosters. It was the single worst hatch I have ever gotten from shipped eggs and they offered to do nothing about it. I have hatched thousands of chickens. I don't think it was me. When I gently asked about it, they were quite rude. I realize Fitz Farm doesn't control any of the post office actions, but I would be cautious about expectations. They are in it for $$. I have had many dozens of eggs sent directly from founding Marans breeders with a lot better success.

Edited to add better link to the color chart (the really dark one above the #6 is what the "9" should look like):
http://www.enloequarterhorses.com/enloeqh/images/GAdImages/10.jpg
That's disappointing to hear about the bad experience from Fitz farms. This will be my first order I've ever gotten shipped, I hope your experience was a fluke but I guess I need to have lower expectations. Is there anyone else you would recommend buying from that has nice dark Wheaten eggs? I also raise Welsummers and want something darker than those eggs (my welsummers give me a 4 to 5 on the marans egg chart I got from maransofamericaclub).

Looks like the site you sent me to is another Marans club? I only knew about the Marans of America Club.

Here is a new photo of my 3 1/2 week old Wheaten Marans. I assume it is a female. She is very small compared to other chicks hatched at the same time, but she would have died if I hadn't helped her out of her shell, and I assume she will need to get a little stronger. Hope she will catch up on her growth rate soon. What is your opinion of how small she is. Her hatchmates were Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Maybe they just run a little bigger????

That's disappointing to hear about the bad experience from Fitz farms. This will be my first order I've ever gotten shipped, I hope your experience was a fluke but I guess I need to have lower expectations. Is there anyone else you would recommend buying from that has nice dark Wheaten eggs? I also raise Welsummers and want something darker than those eggs (my welsummers give me a 4 to 5 on the marans egg chart I got from maransofamericaclub).

Looks like the site you sent me to is another Marans club? I only knew about the Marans of America Club.
There are two Marans clubs due to a massive falling out among members. I have heard bits and pieces about what happened, but I am sure there are good people in both clubs. I had Bev Davis Marans prior to the split, so I stayed with her group.

I don't know if she still sells or not, but April Miley has the nicest wheatens I have ever purchased and the egg color is fantastic. She's probably on the breeders list of the www.maranschickenclubusa.com . Bev Davis is the president of our club and has done as much for Marans as anyone in the USA. If you have Marans, you likely have her breeding. She's an amazing lady.

There are two Marans clubs due to a massive falling out among members.  I have heard bits and pieces about what happened, but I am sure there are good people in both clubs.  I had Bev Davis Marans prior to the split, so I stayed with her group.

I don't know if she still sells or not, but April Miley has the nicest wheatens I have ever purchased and the egg color is fantastic.  She's probably on the breeders list of the www.maranschickenclubusa.com .  Bev Davis is the president of our club and has done as much for Marans as anyone in the USA.  If you have Marans, you likely have her breeding.  She's an amazing lady.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm familiar with Bev Davis and her contribution to the Marans breed and I actually just joined that club bc of that. I can't seem to find a breeders list on the website though.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm familiar with Bev Davis and her contribution to the Marans breed and I actually just joined that club bc of that. I can't seem to find a breeders list on the website though.
If you go the Yahoo Group for Marans Chicken Club USA, I know that the breeders are listed on either the Data or Files link. I know that it is difficult to fine, we have discussed that many times.

Ernie Haire

Here is a new photo of my 3 1/2 week old Wheaten Marans. I assume it is a female. She is very small compared to other chicks hatched at the same time, but she would have died if I hadn't helped her out of her shell, and I assume she will need to get a little stronger. Hope she will catch up on her growth rate soon. What is your opinion of how small she is. Her hatchmates were Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Maybe they just run a little bigger????

Looks like a female to me! She's a bit smaller than I would expect at 3-1/2 weeks. I hope she is doing well. Do the others pick on her at all?

Looks like a female to me! She's a bit smaller than I would expect at 3-1/2 weeks. I hope she is doing well. Do the others pick on her at all?
Nobody picks on her. She is finally getting her shoulder feathers now at a faster pace. Yea. She loves her outdoor time. She is now 4 weeks old and I guess she will make it. Just be smaller for a while. I am giving them vitamins and probiotics. Will keep posting.

Hello all! I was wondering if you all think that Hank (on the left) is a wheatan marans cockerel? I got my chicks as mixed breed and wheatan marans could be in the mix. They're 4 weeks old now. Penny (on the right) also seems like she could be an Ameraucana/Wheaten Marans cross, but I have no clue on that one, I'm just calling her and EE until I see what egg color she produces.

Back
Top Bottom