Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

These are mine. All the whitish ones are blue Splash. Your's looks like mine.

Quote: Shadow thank you very much for sharing your pics. Mine do look like yours. I appreciate your help very much.
big_smile.png

Can someone point me to a pic of a "Blue" wheaten marans "female"?
We hatched out some Blue Wheaten Marans eggs.
It's my understanding we could have Blues/Wheatens, and Splashes.
I can find lots of pics of Wheaten and Splash hens but is there not a "blue hen"?
No problem finding Blue roos but what about the hens?
Am I thinking right that their should be blue hens as well as blue roos?
If so, please link me to a pic of a blue hen or set my tired mind right about this.
TIA for any help.

Edit: Think I found my answer here in post #6 - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/617934/how-to-breed-wheaton-blue-wheatons
Subtle differences which I was uncertain of. Still would be nice to have all three pictured together and explaining these differences.
I think I know what to look for in my pullets now.

Last edited:
Hatched a couple Wheaten Maran girls from some eggs I bought online. They are four weeks old. Have 6 in the incubator all looking good that are due to hatch Thursday. Finishing up a new coop and fencing in a separate run to keep my other flock separated. Hope I do get a rooster out of the six.

Last edited:
the rooster with a hens in Group A is actually a Golden Salmon Rooster . I m crossing him with a groupA wheaten hen because they have the best dark eggs in all my 4 wheaten group.

I ll get wheaten carrying a e+ Wildtype chicks as a F1 .

next year I ll cross the best F1 between them selves to get a 25% Golden Salmon in the F2 a true breeders.

the problem I see with this rooster is his back comb ,need more feathers in his shanks and some mass .

I m crossing him with 6 best hens so I should have a lot progeny to choose from. i ll come out with some Golden salmon strain in few years for sure and gorgeous one too .

I have a salmon hen but she lay number 4/5 So I m going to cross her with a wheaten rooster ( from group one hen s they son s ) to improve the eggs colour in her progeny

chooks man

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted, but now I'm in a bind so I'm hoping someone here can help. A raccoon killed my Wheaten Marans cock so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm in the vicinity of Richmond, VA. If anyone has hatching eggs, what might you charge for them? That's my preferred way to bring in replacement stock, with NPIP day-old chicks a second.

I hope you all are doing well. Those Australian Marans in the post above look lovely.

Can someone point me to a pic of a "Blue" wheaten marans "female"?
We hatched out some Blue Wheaten Marans eggs.
It's my understanding we could have Blues/Wheatens, and Splashes.
I can find lots of pics of Wheaten and Splash hens but is there not a "blue hen"?
No problem finding Blue roos but what about the hens?
Am I thinking right that their should be blue hens as well as blue roos?
If so, please link me to a pic of a blue hen or set my tired mind right about this.
TIA for any help.

Edit: Think I found my answer here in post #6 - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/617934/how-to-breed-wheaton-blue-wheatons
Subtle differences which I was uncertain of. Still would be nice to have all three pictured together and explaining these differences.
I think I know what to look for in my pullets now.

You could get Blue Wheaten, Wheaten and maybe splash.

Hi again everyone, I posted a few months ago about having a few blue wheatens and didnt manage to upload any pics here is my rooster and a standard wheaten hen and I would like any critiques as I plan using him for breeding?

Last edited:
Hello, I was hoping for some help identifying two of my birds. They were purchased from a small hatchery and labeled as 'Wheaten Marans'. I believe they are actually black-tails buffs?

I have two, very similar coloring, same age. The one in the photo, it's feathers came in much faster and it is quite a bit larger than the other. It also seems to walk like a roo, but the comb/wattles have not turned red at all . I would have expected more obvious signs at 7 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom