When and how to start layer food?

With my current flock, they're about 6 months old, I just switched them to layer pellets. With chickens that I've raised from chicks, I start weaning them to layer pellets at about 2.5-3 months old. Some say don't switch their grain until they're laying. It's probably up to you. I would wean them to it. Mix it up for them for awhile so that it isn't a shock to them.

With my current flock, they're about 6 months old, I just switched them to layer pellets. With chickens that I've raised from chicks, I start weaning them to layer pellets at about 2.5-3 months old. Some say don't switch their grain until they're laying. It's probably up to you. I would wean them to it. Mix it up for them for awhile so that it isn't a shock to them.
Kind of like switching out other pet food, right?

I don't use layer feed, but instead choose Alflock. Main difference;; Layer is 4% calcium, and Alflock is 2% calcium. (I know the actual numbers may be 3.90%, and 1.95%) Different suppliers will have different values.
I have both layers and non layers. I offer cracked oyster shells free-choice. This setup works for me with no problems.
Layer feed is the shortcut version to offer to your laying flock. One of the drawbacks in layer, (at least for me) was the bare bone minimum protein content of 16%. I know there are other values available like 18%, or higher. Those were not at my feed-store readily available.
If you have roosters, or non layers, the layer feed is not IDEAL for all your chicken.(except those producing eggs. )
Many peeps start layer feed once their hens start laying. Starting it a little sooner will not do any harm. Many peeps falsely think that layer feed will encourage chickens to start laying sooner. No data to back that up that I ran across.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

I don't use layer feed, but instead choose Alflock. Main difference;; Layer is 4% calcium, and Alflock is 2% calcium. (I know the actual numbers may be 3.90%, and 1.95%) Different suppliers will have different values.
I have both layers and non layers. I offer cracked oyster shells free-choice. This setup works for me with no problems.
Layer feed is the shortcut version to offer to your laying flock. One of the drawbacks in layer, (at least for me) was the bare bone minimum protein content of 16%. I know there are other values available like 18%, or higher. Those were not at my feed-store readily available.
If you have roosters, or non layers, the layer feed is not IDEAL for all your chicken.(except those producing eggs. )
Many peeps start layer feed once their hens start laying. Starting is a little sooner will not do any harm. Many peeps falsely think that layer feed will encourage chickens to start laying sooner. No data to back that up that I ran across.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome
My girls are all layers, hopefully will in the middle of winter.

I no longer feed a Layers feed, but I did with my first Flock.
I mixed pellets with crumble 50/50 at 16 weeks with my Golden Comets.
I also mixed the pellets with Scratch Grains and scattered in their pen and they readily consumed the pellets.
They were squatting and they're combs and wattles were Red and swollen.

My ISA Browns started to lay at 17 weeks, but the last ISA to lay didn't Start till 22 weeks, 5 days.
When they are showing signs of laying, mix Layers 50/50 with Starters feed and offer a container of Oyster Shells separately till all are laying.
20201021_052441.jpg

To make the transition as smooth as possible, get a Layers crumble feed and mix 50/50. GC

I no longer feed a Layers feed, but I did with my first Flock.
I mixed pellets with crumble 50/50 at 16 weeks with my Golden Comets.
I also mixed the pellets with Scratch Grains and scattered in their pen and they readily consumed the pellets.
They were squatting and they're combs and wattles were Red and swollen.

My ISA Browns started to lay at 17 weeks, but the last ISA to lay didn't Start till 22 weeks, 5 days.
When they are showing signs of laying, mix Layers 50/50 with Starters feed and offer a container of Oyster Shells separately till all are laying. View attachment 2398200
To make the transition as smooth as possible, get a Layers crumble feed and mix 50/50. GC
What a pretty girl!

Back
Top Bottom