When Can I Kick the Chicks to the Coop?

Siggie

Songster
Dec 27, 2015
Northshore MN
Wondering if I can put my chicks out in the coop yet? They are 30 days old and have been on my porch for the last month during our cold snaps with only the mama heating pad set up for heat. They spent most of their time out running around during the day in the 30 degree temps on our porch brooder and appear almost completely feathered out now.

There are 22 of them and I think they are getting too large for the 5'x6'x2' brooder, plus my porch looks like a dirt/dust bomb went off in there!

My coop is almost complete and I would like to send them out! Looks like the night temps will be in the 50's

Last edited:
If you can move MHP out with them, then certainly!

If you can't, you can try giving them a huddle box in the coop so they can concentrate their body heat. Try to do it on a day you can check on them frequently to make sure that they aren't getting too cold during the day, because if they are they will certainly need supplemental heat at night.

That makes me happy
ya.gif
My coop is attached to our horse barn so I will need to be creative with the extension cord (one of my horses is a real character and likes to chew on wires!) I know the chicks would be so happy to have more room! I wanted to have the porch cleaned by this weekend due to family coming but I am not sure it will happen. Been working double shifts this entire month - which is why the coop is not finished like it should have been. The coop just needs the back wall paneled and painted, and roosting bars added and then it is complete! I can do the nest boxes later because they don't need them just yet. And I also have one more row of hardware cloth to add to the roof of the run before that is complete....oh and the door then the entire coop and run is done!

Back
Top Bottom