When can I put my Salmon Favorelle's in coop? (4 weeks)

ChickyGoldens

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
My Salmon Favorelle's (5 chicks) are almost 4 weeks & I am wondering when they can go in the chicken coop. No adults are with them. I can have heat in there as well with them. I have heard full feathering but with heat was hoping they could go soon.

Attachments

• Chicks almost 4 wks.jpg
    Chicks almost 4 wks.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 19
My Salmon Favorelle's (5 chicks) are almost 4 weeks & I am wondering when they can go in the chicken coop. No adults are with them. I can have heat in there as well with them. I have heard full feathering but with heat was hoping they could go soon.
Where do you live? As long as the coop is secure, they could have been brooded in there. Put them in it, they will love all the extra space

Hi ChickyGoldens. It depends on the weather where you are. If the nights get below 60 degrees, I would provide them with heat for the night, also nesting material for them to snuggle down into. I put my Salmon Favorelle's, as well as other breeds out in my baby coop at 1 month. They are ok during the day, but until our nights get at least 60 degrees, I provide them with a heating pad and plenty of nesting material for them to snuggle down into. I have older chickens, so I keep the babies in the baby coop until they are 3 months old. At that time I start letting them out during the day, and at night I place them in my smaller adult coop (which doesn't have to many hens in there at night) and let them start adjusting to the new routine. That's what works for me, hope this helps.

I put my chicks in the brooder or the coop straight from the incubator or post office. Two or three days old. As long as they have a warm spot warm enough they are really good at managing heat themselves. With no adults they can go out there today. In a ridiculous heat spell a few years back I turned daytime heat off at 2 days and overnight heat off at five days. Under more normal conditions I provide heat until they are 5 weeks old.

But what is your weather like, especially overnight lows? Are they protected from wind and predators? How would you supply heat if needed? I use a heat lamp but heat plates and heating pad caves can work really well.
I'd need to know more about your conditions and facilities before I can get very specific with suggestions but with the right conditions they can go out today.

Hi ChickyGoldens. It depends on the weather where you are. If the nights get below 60 degrees, I would provide them with heat for the night, also nesting material for them to snuggle down into. I put my Salmon Favorelle's, as well as other breeds out in my baby coop at 1 month. They are ok during the day, but until our nights get at least 60 degrees, I provide them with a heating pad and plenty of nesting material for them to snuggle down into. I have older chickens, so I keep the babies in the baby coop until they are 3 months old. At that time I start letting them out during the day, and at night I place them in my smaller adult coop (which doesn't have to many hens in there at night) and let them start adjusting to the new routine. That's what works for me, hope this helps.
Thanks, I am in the Pacific NW and it is about 42 degrees at night but I was planning on putting my heat light in the coop hanging and putting the coop for just 1/2 their space for now. (put wire across, since it is so big) Then plenty of pine shavings to snuggle down into.

Thanks, I am in the Pacific NW and it is about 42 degrees at night but I was planning on putting my heat light in the coop hanging and putting the coop for just 1/2 their space for now. (put wire across, since it is so big) Then plenty of pine shavings to snuggle down into.
That should be fine, you won't really need the heat for much longer but they do need to acclimate to the change in temperatures before you remove it for good.

Back
Top Bottom