When can I switch to this waterer?

thistlewick

Chirping
May 11, 2024
The Piedmont of North Carolina
Just wondering when can I switch the chicks to this waterer that is a bit harder to use (but SO much cleaner)

Also, best way to train them on it?

94641132.png

That's what we made very similar. We start them out with the horizontal nipple bottle. We convert to one like that when they're about three to four weeks old. The horizontal nipples are free to peck, where these ones they have to really peck hard to get water out.

You don't need to train them. We take away any other water source and they'll eventually start pecking at it. It only takes one to get water and the rest will learn from that one.

Here's ours from an old Tupperware container.

Attachments

• Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2
I started getting mine to use it at 4 weeks old. What I did was I took out there chick waterer and sat down next to it as they liked jumping all over me. Then I started to ‘peck’ at them with my fingers. Then the little droplets of water would sit on that little rim under it and then when they went to drink the little droplets they would actually hit it and then it just took a bit to figure it out.

I think the minimum is around 3 weeks of age, but horizontal nipples do require some strength for them to toggle.

5 week old chick here. I didn't train her, she copied the adults:
2024chicks18.jpg

Without adults to copy I would suggest picking up each chick (or if you have a lot of chicks, pick up 3 or 4) and press their beak against the toggle, let them drink the droplets, and do it again and then let them go. Take away any other water source so they have to turn to the nipple waterer, but do keep an eye on them to make sure they're actually using it.

Back
Top Bottom