When do detached air cells become an issue?

WeTheWeys

Chirping
Jul 12, 2018
Hi all!

12 posted duck eggs, 1 infertile, 3 with blood rings. 8 with eyes, a banana shaped body, veins, and a whole lot of movement. They all have been "swinging" back and forth a lot... (is this normal?).

We are at day ten. I am curious if the dangerous part of detached air cells has passed (except for when pipping which I know is the most important part in terms of air cell location). Is the big risk with detached air cells that the embryos may not develop? Since mine are developing, are they likely to make it to day 28?

Not only that they might not develop but they might not develop properly or sufficient enough to hatch. By day 12 they should firm up all the way. That would be the best scenario. Loose or detached aircells can inhibit the development of the CAM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorioallantoic_membrane) which needs to develop properly for the chick to hatch. You won’t be able to tell until hatch time. But the firmer the air cells are the better chance you have for them to hatch.

Not only that they might not develop but they might not develop properly or sufficient enough to hatch. By day 12 they should firm up all the way. That would be the best scenario. Loose or detached aircells can inhibit the development of the CAM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorioallantoic_membrane) which needs to develop properly for the chick to hatch. You won’t be able to tell until hatch time. But the firmer the air cells are the better chance you have for them to hatch.

Thanks! They do not move around the egg, I have since checked after seeing your reply. They do not move around the egg, however a small section of the edge of the air cell on a few of the eggs jiggles when I rotate the eggs. However, it does not move around the egg, just jiggles/vibrates when I am tilting the egg the other way. My eggs are still upright for fear that if I put them on their sides, the air cells may re-detach.

Thanks! They do not move around the egg, I have since checked after seeing your reply. They do not move around the egg, however a small section of the edge of the air cell on a few of the eggs jiggles when I rotate the eggs. However, it does not move around the egg, just jiggles/vibrates when I am tilting the egg the other way. My eggs are still upright for fear that if I put them on their sides, the air cells may re-detach.
I would lay down the ones that don’t wiggle to much and start turning them while they are laying down. Shipped duck eggs are hard. I’ve been there many times. Lol. But it sounds like you’re doing a good job! Hopefully you’ll get lots of ducklings! :fl

Back
Top Bottom