When do Ducks and Geese start laying?

That helps so much thank you! I have 6 ducks and I know 2 of them are little boys. Do you know if all male ducks get those curled tail feathers?

They should, but I have heard tale of some drakes that either don't have them, or have not-so-curly ones. But by and large, they should -oh, unless they're Muscovies, I think I've heard that Muscovies don't have drake feathers (they have huge facial carbuncles instead).

My four-and-a-half month olds are just finishing up getting their proper feathers, but I haven't spotted a drake feather yet (but I know they're males by their voices and that they're starting to show interest in the hens
roll.png
).

It depends on which breed of geese you have. Africans and China's start a bit earlier like January/February if the weather isn't too cold of course. Most other breeds start laying in March. Our American buff start usually between March 10-15.

Thank you both so much. I have noticed a difference in the way they sound. I have 3 buff orp if I'm not mistaken and none of them have drake feathers but I noticed one had an intrest as you said mlheran. Kaatje are you saying geese only lay for a short time and not all year? Wow I had no clue! I think I have 2 Emben, 2 Chinese, and 1 African. This is my first time to have geese and I love 'em. I had a duck before that I raised with chickens and he thought he was a chicken but I lost him last summer. Again thanks for the help.

I know geese won't start laying until winter (January thru May if you're lucky). So, I think it's more a matter of the season, not their age. I imagine ducks would be the same, wouldn't they?

thank goodness someone asked this question..im losing my mind here searching the web trying to figure out how old my ducks need to be to start laying. I have 3 rouens...still dont know which are boys/girls and a pair of white crested. As far as I know they are in the 5month age range. The whites are bloody huge!!!!!!! The Rouens are also larger than their wild counterparts already. Should i be able to tell the sexes of the rouens at this time?

We have some rouens and the female just started laying about two weeks ago. That made her just about 6 months and now she is up to one egg a day. So yep aran they should start laying soon. You should be able to tell the sexes now if not very soon. Our drake took about two weeks to fully get his plumage in. Try to look at them in the bright sunlight and see if you don't see that green sheen off their heads. As far as geese go I'm not sure when they start laying? I can't wait though!

you are totally right...i took a good look today... i think i have 1 rouen female and 2 males. I know the white crested are a pair.
The female rouen has a browner beak, and a noisy quack quack voice compared to the males who have greener beaks, have started to go a lovely grey colour on their bellies, their chests are getting a mottled brown/red appearance and they sound like little squeaks when they talk. Does that sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom