When do we expect eggs?

ClundRnc

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Our flock is starting their 14th week of age. When should we start looking for our first eggs? We have 2 Pearl white leg horns, 2 Plymouth Barred rock and 1 Buff barred rock.

Most breeds will start to lay between 18-28 weeks.
Might open the nests now, if they are closed,
to ensure they stay in the habit of sleeping the the roosts.

I have two Cali Whites (part Legghorn) who are 20 weeks now and one has laid an egg every day for the last 13 days.

I have 2 barred rocks and 2 black sex linx, also 20 weeks- and nothing. Its got to be any day now for the rest of them

When should we start looking for our first eggs? We have 2 Pearl white leg horns, 2 Plymouth Barred rock and 1 Buff barred rock.

The earliest I've ever had a pullet start was 16 weeks. That's pretty rare but it has happened. With your breeds it could happen, but probably not quite that early. I've also had some that didn't lay until 9 months. Those were not your breeds.

Not sure where you are, but if you are north of the equator I'd start looking at 16 weeks but not really expect to see any until a bit later. You only have five so you don't have enough for averages to mean a lot. You might see one or more at 18 to 20 weeks. I'd expect most of them to be laying by six months. But don't be shocked if one or some take longer than that. Each one is an individual.

A Buff Barred? I've had a Buff Rock before, beautiful chickens, but never a Buff Barred. If she really is barred would you mind posting a photo? I'd be really interested in how well that barring shows up.

I just had one of my girls lay a few days ago. She's 17 weeks and a Rhode Island Red :)
My other ladies haven't shown signs though

The earliest I've ever had a pullet start was 16 weeks. That's pretty rare but it has happened. With your breeds it could happen, but probably not quite that early. I've also had some that didn't lay until 9 months. Those were not your breeds.

Not sure where you are, but if you are north of the equator I'd start looking at 16 weeks but not really expect to see any until a bit later. You only have five so you don't have enough for averages to mean a lot. You might see one or more at 18 to 20 weeks. I'd expect most of them to be laying by six months. But don't be shocked if one or some take longer than that. Each one is an individual.

A Buff Barred? I've had a Buff Rock before, beautiful chickens, but never a Buff Barred. If she really is barred would you mind posting a photo? I'd be really interested in how well that barring shows up.
I was thrown for a huge loop when my easter egger was the first of the bunch to lay at 16 weeks :eek:

Back
Top Bottom