When is it too early to start incubating (in South Eastern Kentucky)?

Do you set eggs in your incubator before March 1st?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarnGems

Songster
Jan 12, 2019
SE KY
When is it too early to collect eggs from my flock to set in my incubator? What's a good average monthly temperature to hatch baby chicks in?

I live in south eastern Kentucky and I am not sure when is the right time to start?

I have a barn (not heated but I have a heat lamp and Brinsea chick plate) that the brooder box is in. I want to have chicks available for purchase at my local market soon as the season starts but when does that happen? March? April? I think i should start a batch to be ready the first week of March but would like others opinions.

I know it really depends on the area you live but I don't want to miss any possible chick selling opportunities. Thanks!

It does, so you need to check around and see.
Are you talking about a farmers market, or a livestock market??

I have a local store that is willing to negotiate to sell my chicks in his store and there is a local livestock market on weeks ends that's not too far from me about an hour away.

I guess i was assuming that most of the people here sell their hatching eggs and/or chicks each year?

Last edited:
I have a local store that is willing to negotiate to sell my chicks in his store and there is a local livestock market on weeks ends that's not too far from me about an hour away.
You should be in communication with them about when.

I guess i was assuming that most of the people here sell their hatching eggs and/or chicks each year?
Hmm, some do sell chicks locally and/or ship hatching eggs, most probably don't.

Have you seen this sub forum?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67
That might give you a better idea of who here is selling.

And maybe check into your state chat thread for more local info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/kentucky-people.110/page-1315

Back
Top Bottom