When NOT to break a broody hen

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Three years ago I started this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen to discuss methods to "break" a broody hen. Since then, I have encountered some hens that I think should not be broken, at least, not every time.

Chickens have been domesticated for over 3,000 years, and people have been selectively breeding them for almost that long. I don't know when breeds were designed more for egg production and less for broodiness, perhaps when electrical incubators became more convenient to use. But now we have many production breeds where the broody instinct has been selectively bred out of them. Still, a lot of the more ornamental breeds and mixed-breed hens retain those broody instincts, and in some of them it is very strong.

Also, individual results do vary, and even a production-breed hen may feel the broody mood. I've even seen photos of White Leghorns in egg factories trying to go broody in the corner of their cages. And I think as a result of this selective breeding we have hens with varying strengths of brooding skills. Some are more determined to brood and less easily discouraged than others who can be broken of their broodiness by simply moving them out into the sunshine. "Whatever was I thinking?" she'll say, and go back to scratching with her flock-mates within minutes.

Others can be broken almost as easily, with a stay of a few days in a wire-bottomed cage. I've had a few hens who only spent one session in the Broody Buster and have never gone broody since. If you need your hens for production, or lack the resources/equipment to indulge a broody hen, then it makes sense to try and break your broodies.

However, if there is a hen with a strong broody instinct, who is difficult to break of her mood, who gets broody again within a short amount of time, or goes broody several times a year, then I think that hen should be allowed to follow her design. It will be frustrating to her owner and not pleasant for the hen to be forced against her inner nature. She can be allowed to hatch even a few eggs, or loaned/given/traded/sold to someone who can use a broody hen. If the owner doesn't want to add chicks to their flock they can allow their hen to hatch them for someone else. Hens can incubate any size chicken egg, duck, turkey, guinea, even goose eggs.

It's as if you got a puppy with a strong instinct to retrieve and were constantly trying to train it to leave things alone instead. It would be a constant struggle between you both and neither of you would be content. It's not always evident which hen will be a dedicated broody, although there are tendencies that go along with particular breeds. But if you're frequently contending with the same broody hen, perhaps it would be better to switch than fight.

ANYONE KNOW IF YOU MOVE A BROODY HEN IF SHE WILL ACCEPT THE NEW LOCATION? ONE OF MY HENS TOOK OVER THE POPULAR LAYING SPOT AND BECAME BROODY. SO I READ YOU CAN MOVE HER AND IT MAY TAKE HER A DAY OR SO TO ACCEPT THE NEW LOCATION. HOPING SHE WILL ACCEPT THE NEW SPOT AND SET ON THE EGGS AGAIN.

The best way I've found to relocate a broody hen is:

1. Give her a couple of days to set in her chosen location to make sure she's really ready.
2. Wait until full dark of night.
3. Make the move as smooth as possible, relocate the entire nest if you can.
4. Shade the new location so the hen is isolated in very dim light.

Some hens are just easier to move than others, it depends on their personal set of broody skillz and the little voices only they can hear in their heads...

After having contended with 5 of my 8 being broody at once, I am glad to have learned last year of the broody buster cage. But I agree with you, Sunny Side Up. I'm the one with the unbreakable broody that ended up getting chicks.

It's so odd, she's such a lackadaisical mom, giving only minimal care to the babies and "weaning" them at 5 weeks after being so determined for so long. Still, giving in to her was much easier on all of us. She's back to laying and being her old self faster than she would have been had I kept trying to break her.

Then there's my favorite broody that I never say no to. She is an excellent mom and tends to be kind of crazy if she doesn't successfully hatch and raise a brood. But the other three were a snap to break.

Quote:
I've had hens who were done with their chicks after 4 weeks, some up to 9, so 5 weeks isn't so bad. It's interesting to see the differences among Mama hens, some are constantly clucking & blucking to their chicks, scratching up goodies & calling them over to investigate. Others seem more self-centered & remote. As long as they're not eating their chicks upon hatch or pecking them to death in the days to follow, I consider them to be good moms.

And then there's Biscuit, a mixed-breed bantam who would hatch crocodile eggs if I put them under her. She's hatched numerous clutches of standard-sized chickens, also ducks and geese! It's so fun to watch her at work, she's a true professional.

I agree with you, Sunny Side Up, it is a losing battle to try to break a persistent broody, and probably not very pleasant for the hen. I have a bantam EE who lays eggs for 2-3 wks, then broods for a few weeks, then "recover's" for a few weeks, then starts all over with 2-3 weeks of egg laying....She does this cycle from early spring until her late fall molt. When brooding, I just take her off the nest once a day to dip her beak in water, try to "wake her up" to be sure she eats and drinks enough. I did once let her hatch a few -- she was a pretty good mother, and did give the chicks the boot at 5 weeks.

Namesherchicks, you can try, but stick and around and watch to be sure the hen has accepted the chicks and is not aggressive towards them. I tried it once with a few day old chicks from the hatchery, and the hen drove them away and began pecking. I scooped them up and put them into the brooder. I have read of numerous cases of broodies adopting young chicks, but I think they more frequently reject them.

Some broody hens will happily adopt chicks placed under them, others will not. There are a lot of variables, and like the above poster said, it's important to closely observe the hen for a while to insure the safety of the chick.

A lot will depend on the individual hen, her temperament, and her unique component of instincts. I think a lot would also depend on how long the hen had been already brooding, probably the longer she has been setting the more motherly she will feel.

Most folks will place the chicks under the hen well after nightfall, then set the alarm to rise extra early to observe the hen with the chicks once daylight breaks. Some hens will accept chicks during the night, but upon seeing them by light of day will reject them.

I tried that during the day once and it didn't work, but I knew it might not. So I waited till nightfall, same hen and same chicks. Worked perfectly. I've done that about 5 times now.

Back
Top Bottom