When should I help ducking out of the egg?

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
I am hatching some duck eggs and I was wondering if I should help it?

The egg in the photo is smaller than the other egg is in the incubator. If that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 51
I am hatching some duck eggs and I was wondering if I should help it?
You should probably NOT help that duckling.

Here's a long article about when and how to assist baby birds to hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I think the most important point is to wait long enough for the baby to hatch on its own-- usually 24 hours or longer.

I know it can be very hard to wait, but if you help too soon, the duckling will die.

They need to absorb the entire yolk sac before they hatch, but they usually make a hole in the shell before they finish absorbing the yolk. Then they sit there, with a hole in the shell, still absorbing yolk, while the people worry ;) When they are finally done absorbing the yolk, they make a crack all the way around the shell and come out.

You should probably NOT help that duckling.

Here's a long article about when and how to assist baby birds to hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I think the most important point is to wait long enough for the baby to hatch on its own-- usually 24 hours or longer.

I know it can be very hard to wait, but if you help too soon, the duckling will die.

They need to absorb the entire yolk sac before they hatch, but they usually make a hole in the shell before they finish absorbing the yolk. Then they sit there, with a hole in the shell, still absorbing yolk, while the people worry ;) When they are finally done absorbing the yolk, they make a crack all the way around the shell and come out.
Ditto. I know how hard it is to wait but it’s the best. My rule of thumb generally is if it’s been 48 hours and little progress. Even then I don’t remove them completely but very carefully make the opening larger for them.

be patient, I assisted my duckling, but waited 48 hours, then simply removed the shell over the air cell ONLY.
she came out on her own.
If you help too soon, you could hit blood vessels. They need long enough to absorb the yolk and blood.
It takes a lot of waiting, ducks are slow hatchers.
Be careful not to remove the eggs from the incubator, or open the incubator, as they really need this humidity, losing the humidity could cause shrink wrapping.
Absolutely do read the article on assisted hatching as linked by Nat J. Even if you end up not having to assist, it's full of important information, always good to have a read before any hatch.
Good luck with your baby

Back
Top Bottom