When should I remove the chick from the incubator?

ojb1488

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2019
One of my chicks hatched on day 21 but the other seven haven't even pipped the shell yet. It is now day 22. I'm told that I can't open the incubator before the eggs hatch (which can take up to day 25) because it will lower the humidity. I'm using a still air incubator (Brinsea Octagon 10). I'm concerned that the chick who hatched on time might starve to death before the others hatch though. What do I do in this situation?

If you open the incubator, do it fast. Better yet have help, one lifts the lid one grabs the chick, and put the lid right back on.

Let them stay till they dry and fluff up. You can let them stay comfortably for about 2 days, they don't need feed because they are still running on high octane yolk. If they were hatched by a Momma Hen, she wouldn't take them out for food and water till about the second day. That's why she plucks the feathers from her breasts, makes it easier for the babies to find her teets to suckle from till she thinks they are ready for something other than her milk.

:eek::gig:lau

Just trolling you there!
You can leave them in or take them out after a day. They don't need any outside sustenance till their yolk runs out after about 2 days. if you decide to take them out once they fluff, don't get in too big a rush and hurt them or the other eggs, but get the bator closed back up soon as you can safely. :hugs

Let them stay till they dry and fluff up. You can let them stay comfortably for about 2 days, they don't need feed because they are still running on high octane yolk. If they were hatched by a Momma Hen, she wouldn't take them out for food and water till about the second day. That's why she plucks the feathers from her breasts, makes it easier for the babies to find her teets to suckle from till she thinks they are ready for something other than her milk.

:eek::gig:lau
Omg your posts are cracking me up tonight
Lol @ baby chicks drinking chicken bewbie milk

Omg your posts are cracking me up tonight
Lol @ baby chicks drinking chicken bewbie milk
That's why Momma hens pluck the feathers from their breasts! Makes it a lot easier for those babies to find her nipples. Next time you buy some chicken breasts from the store, look for the nipples. Most hens they sell in the stores have never been pregnant, so most won't have them. But every now and then...
:lau

Back
Top Bottom