When to safely feed a pullet layer feed

dixiesmom

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
Georgia
I'm new at this pullet thing. I have an established flock of 7 with now a beautiful addition of a 16 week old pullet. I wonder can I start to transition her to layer feed? Anyone know? I heard 18 weeks but she is very large for her age. Thinking it's time per her size. She is a lavander orphington.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Depends on the breed and age. Orpingtons generally don't start laying until 6 months of age. Some breeds of chicken start at 5 months however. I would wait another 6 weeks before starting with the layer feed. You can start pullets on layer feed a few weeks before they actually start laying with no issues. Some people wait until that first egg. I like to get the calcium going in their systems a couple of weeks before they lay however as to prevent any egg binding or soft shells. If you want to, you can put out some oyster shell for them. If they do need the calcium, they can pick through a tub full of it before you actually force it on them in feed just yet.

Are the combs, faces and wattles getting large and red yet? A sure fire way to tell they are a few days away from laying is when they squat for you when you lean over them. They will open their wings and hunker down close to the ground. When they start squatting like this, eggs will be coming down the pipes soon!

Enjoy your babies had welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. It's just really hard keeping her food seperate from the other already laying hens. 7 of them. I'll do what I need to though. Thanks again:)

Oh and no she isn't laying or squatting when I go to pet her yet. She isn't swollen either but wattles are very red. She is quite a big girl. Now much bigger than my full grown jersey giant. I'm Amazed at how tall she is.

Back
Top Bottom