When to STOP feeding medicated starter?

Dilly

Cooped Up
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Hi, I was just talking with the Local feed store and she was telling me that the chicks should be taken off medicated starter after a couple weeks. Mine are four weeks now. This concerns me.

Next question is should I put them on a 20 percent multi purpose layer or should I put them on a grower?

Or should I just drop them at this point and go to the 16 percent layer?

This is very confusing as far as switching them off the medicated since I have never raised chicks prior, so nothing to go on.

My concern was putting them on a mash which is primarily dust. I read where some do not like or eat pellets. So what to do.

mash verses pellets?

Grower verses layer?

And what percent 16% or 20%

HELP

I am using medicated starter this year since I am raising my chicks in the wet northwest spring, I plan to keep them on it until they are switched to layer pellets at about 18 weeks.

Edited to add: I am feeding Purina Start and Grow, 18% protein.

Last edited:
Nutrena recommended that I take the chicks off the starter and put them on grower at 6 weeks, then after their 21st week or at start of lay put them on the layer feed.

I dont know if purina has a grower feed, I became disenchanted with them after researching their track record for safety and quality control.

The idea of a starter (usually around 21 percent protien) is for proper growth, feather and bone develoment since the chicks grow so fast for the first 8 weeks till they are nearly feathered out.

On the occasion I have used medicated starter, I will feed for the first two weeks, then switch to a non-medicated starter till 8 weeks of age.

At 8 weeks their development slows and body proprtions catch up . At this time I use an All Purpose which is usually around 16 percent protien.

I will switch over to a layer pellet at 5 months or if I have early layers, I will make the switch to a layer pellet.

I prefer pellets since chickens are messy eaters and flip the food all over. A pellet stands a better chance of being eaten once on the ground or floor compared to a crumble, hense better efficiency and less waste.

When I switch to an All Purpose, I look for the largest crumbles I can find. Mash is too wastefull, and pellets are still too big. Every feed mill is different so experiment to find the feed size with the least amount of waste.

It really boils down to economy. Usually chick starter is more expensive, and after rapid growth phase it is not necassary, but it certainly wont hurt them in the least.

i have raised some on an Honor 21 percent starter/grower from day 1 till they started to lay, but it was what was available for the least amount of money.

Thanks very much for the information. I am shocked that I am having such a horrible time locating grower crumbles. :mad:
I found mash which I do not want. Pellets too, pass on that as well.
At least I know what to get, just finding a store that has some.

Dilly

Mine always stay on Medicated Starter/Grower til they are laying age.....

Last edited:
Hi again, Is there a difference between starter and a starter grower.

Another concern since we will not be adding chickens and exposing ours, wouldn't the medicated feed be an upset to the natural balance of intestinal health? You know the correct flora and all that.
Just thinking out loud, I know with other animals you do not keep them as with humans on antibiotics as that can decrease and compromise the immune systems. How does all this work with Chickens?

Mine were on the medicated feed till 8 weeks when they moved into the coop with the big girls, from then on they get what the big girls get, which is a general poultry feed.

I offer oyster shell for those that are laying and want it....

So far so good, I think as humans trying to care for our chickens we over think the whole thing a bit much...... chickens will do fine!

Back
Top Bottom