When to take out of brooder.

RDchicken99

Omelette Connoisseur
Mar 14, 2021
SW Missouri
Hello! I have one month old chicks that are outgrowing the brooder and need to be moved to the chicken house! It’s enclosed, but even with heat lamps it will be colder than they’re used to. When is it safe to move them to the coop without them catching a chill? And my lowest upcoming temps are lower fourties at night. Thank you!

Sorry, I’m new to chickens, when you say fully feathered do you mean all their adult feathers? Because if that’s the case, they aren’t! They are at the weird looking teen phase when they have SOME of their adult feathers.

I’m new to chickens as well, but from what I’ve read a chick is considered FULLY feathered at 8 weeks or so. My babies are 3 1/2 weeks right now and will outgrow the brooder box soon. We built another box twice the size and plan to put them in the coop outside (obviously) in about a week or 2. We have a heat lamp suspended on a chain above the box and a radiant heater as well inside the brooder box. Night temps are still in the 30’s....brrrrr! A day prior to moving the chicks I will play around with the heaters to dial in an appropriate temperature somewhere near 60 - 65.

Sorry, I’m new to chickens, when you say fully feathered do you mean all their adult feathers? Because if that’s the case, they aren’t! They are at the weird looking teen phase when they have SOME of their adult feathers.

Not necessarily adult colors -- they'll have several juvenile molts. All feathers instead of down.

Can you put a heat lamp into the coop so that they have a warm place to go in and out of?

You don't need to heat the entire coop -- just one part.

Back
Top Bottom