When will my rooster crow?

LynnTXchickenmom

Chirping
Aug 22, 2022
We were given an extra chick with our order and now, at 18 weeks, he is obviously a rooster—larger body, pronounced comb, more beautiful tail feathers. He’s a Rhode Island Red, so I’m expecting him to get aggressive and crow. Thus far, though, he’s more curious than the 18 hens in the flock, but definitely not aggressive and we have yet to hear a crow. Not have I seen him mating with the pullets.

We are planning to slaughter him for supper as soon as he exhibits behavior dangerous to my children (including a toddler) and/or annoys my neighbors with crowing. I don’t mind crowing and our city allows roosters, but my next-door neighbor has already expressed a lack of support for a crowing bird (nicely, but decisively. She has been nice about our chickens otherwise). But I’d rather the rooster not attack anyone or bother the neighbors with noise. No chance of him just being an odd, non-crowing rooster, is there? Anyone have a late bloomer?

Here’s the cockerel with the pullets. All are 18 weeks. I’ve raised them from 3 day old chicks. I pick up the male to move him when he’s in my way or just push him gently away when I’m cleaning the coop. He’s the first to come exploring. No crowing thus far and no aggressive behavior. I haven’t seen him mount the pullets yet, either.

Attachments

• C5AD0ADD-A0C4-42DC-8598-69024652A344.jpeg
    C5AD0ADD-A0C4-42DC-8598-69024652A344.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 8E415A5F-C2A0-4034-B4DA-CD8E2B515ECF.jpeg
    8E415A5F-C2A0-4034-B4DA-CD8E2B515ECF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
He'll crow whenever he's ready. I have a rooster (Cream) and he barley started crowing last month. He's almost a year old.

Last week my bantum serama disappeared over night. Don’t know if it was stolen or attacked. No evidence of either. My jersey giant and him were two peas in a pod. He faithfully followed her all over the neighborhood . This week she started making this god awful noise . Sounds like she is trying to crow. She is still laying just not everyday. Do you think him disappearing is causing her odd behavior? Should I do anything to discourage this? She has been a little fiesty by running after my small chihuahua when I let him out for a walk. He tucks his tail and runs. It’s quite a site.

Back
Top Bottom