Where can i find info on german spitzhaubens?? pic included

djwingo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Kellyville, Oklahoma
ok i think my new baby is a geman spitzhauben does anyone know wherei can get some info on them? i googled it and did aol search with no luck
sad.png

or does anyone know anything abt them? thanks for the help yall

assortedrarebreed.jpg

Last edited:
Although often referred to as German Spitzhauben, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben is actually from Switzerland and is the national bird of Switzerland. They have a yellow tinge at hatch, but the feathers will be white with black spangles.

The British Breed Standard dictates the following characteristics:

MALE:
Type: Body: well developed and rounded, walnut-shaped. Breast: full, carried high. Wings: rather long, carried close. Tail: well furnished, well spread, at right angles to back. Back: of medium length, slightly sloping with full hackle.

Head: Medium sized, held high, with typical raised skull and medium-sized pointed crest bent forward. Face: smooth. Comb: horn type consisting of two small rounded spikes, separate and without side sprigs. Wattles: moderately long and fine. Earlobes: medium-sized, oval, bluish-white. Beak: powerful, with strong, cavernous nostrils and a prominent ridge to the beak with a small, fleshy knob at the front. Eyes: prominent and alert, dark brown

Neck: Medium length, slightly arched with abundant hackle.
Legs & Feet: Thighs: slender and prominent; shanks: medium length, fine. Toes: four, well spread out.

Plumage: Fairly hard and tight.

FEMALE:
Except for a more horizontal back line, the general characteristics are the same for the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

You can also find some information at the Poultry Pages : http://www.poultrypages.com/appenzeller.html

As soon as I get access to my old computer, I will get you some more sites. There is not that much written about them here because they are not recognized by the American Poultry Association. They have been shown in Europe for quite some time.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have raised Spitz for about four years and really love the breed.

Thank you great info so do you think this is what he is? I got him out of the assorted rare breed pen from the feedstore he was just so cyute if this is what he is i would like to have more they are beautiful
smile.png
are they good for egg laying or what? and are they geerally good with people? he seems a little skittish...may be that i have a loud son lol j/k i try to play with them everyday but is not helping his skittishness (is that a word or did i make it up?) lmao

Yep, it's a little Spitz.

Spitzhaubens are a little skittish, but calm down fast after their initial fright. They are also not real touchy feely birds, but respond great with a lot of handling. I have a few hens that don't like to be picked up, but will jump into my lap for treats. The roos are non-aggressive unless you mess with their hens. I have no problem at all being around the roos. A couple of other breeds I have to watch out for the roos all the time.

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart also has some good information. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

MVC-049S.jpg

Harbour is almost 2 yrs old and meaner than.... well you know. He is in a pen with his girls 5 spitz and 3 EE's and does not like anyone anywhere near them. The girls are very flighty dont like to be touched but I would not trade them for the world. I hope the pic shows

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom