where to buy grains

Borgia

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
Hi all I'm new to raising chickens and have been watching a lot of youtube videos on mixing your own feed but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the ingredients. I have been able to easily find soy and cracked corn but some of the other ingredients/substitutes I can't find anywhere. I'm in the Hudson Valley region in NY and I called all the local feed stores and none have:
1. wheat;
2. millet;
3. sorghum or milo; or
4. rolled oats.

Where do people get these ingredients? I found wheat online but shipping is over $100 for a $10 50lb bag.

You may have better luck trying to find a local mill and buying from them. Local may be subjective though, you might end up driving a bit.

I'm also in the Hudson Valley (down in Westchester).
I really don't think making your own feed is realistic in our area if you're not looking to spend a couple hundred bucks getting it on Amazon. Making your own feed is more realistic if you're in the middle of farmland.

The only option is Stone House Grain in Hudson,NY. They offer non-GMO and organic. They also have a layer mash.

I'm also in the Hudson Valley (down in Westchester).
I really don't think making your own feed is realistic in our area if you're not looking to spend a couple hundred bucks getting it on Amazon. Making your own feed is more realistic if you're in the middle of farmland.

The only option is Stone House Grain in Hudson,NY. They offer non-GMO and organic. They also have a layer mash.
Thx, I'm about an hour north of you so Hudson is exactly an hour from me, so it's not too bad. I called the place and they have wheat so I'm going to go check it out. Thx!

Back
Top Bottom