WHEW!!! Busy day at the stove....

Amethyste

For Love of Boo...
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Silverlake/Mill Creek, WA
making stock!

I cooked up a bunch of chickens yesterday in the oven, for DH's sandwiches, and various other things, and got ALL the carcasses deboned. I also cut the other raw chickens into pieces so I can cook breasts or thighs etc. So part 1 finished lol All the meat seperated, packaged, labeled and all was vacuum packed and frozen.

Then I started on the stock. I went thru the freezer and cleaned it out to find ALL the carcass bits I have been saving. Backs, necks, and feet etc. Into the pot they go with the pieces of the roasted ones I made....the backs etc. ! Added a carrot or three, some parsley and celery, a few smashed cloves of garlic and a little vinegar (grandma always said to add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to get the minerals out of the chicken and into the liquid!! Makes it a lot healthier!!) , salt and a bag of herbs/peppercorns etc and simmering away it went. Squished all the veggies and then strained all the stuff when done and had some GORGEOUS delicious stock.

I just put the last into the freezer, all good to go
smile.png
I feel so proud of myself atm! I have over 20 cups of strong stock in the freezer, and my house smells soooo good right now! Plus my freezer is cleaned out so I have room for the turkey carcass etc for next week lol It's a never ending cycle! lol

Its so nice to eat stuff that you made and that you KNOW is healthy and good for you!! So now when I want to make chicken pie, gravy, casserole, or soup...I have everything pretty much good to go
smile.png

PLUS....while the stock was being done on the stove, I whipped up a few loaves of cranberry bread and oatmeal cookies for DH's lunches. He is so spoiled!!!

I tell you tho...I feel so good about making this stuff by myself and not from a box
smile.png

I bet you are whooped tired ! That's a lot of hard work! Make sure no one eats any of it too fast without savoring the hard work and effort that you went to! Grandma wanted us to chew our food slowly so she'd feel better about spending her life in the kitchen.
wink.png

Wow! Nice job and ....you're making me hungry! LOL

I love having homemade and home canned chicken stock. It's wonderful and so very useful.

Take a break....nice job!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom