• Wyandotte 🐔

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Marans 🐔

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Barbours

Songster
Aug 8, 2023
I what to know what y'all think. What chicken breed is best for all around. Egg laying, meat, niceness the whole package. If you got any other suggestions let me know😁🐔.

Definitely not silkie, the wyandotte is likely the best choice as long as it's heritage type. Mayne the Plymouth Rock, secondly, they come on other colors besides barred.
The others are a little on the lanky side.

I'd go with either the Wyandottes or the Rocks. They're both great dual purpose birds and mine had excellent personalities. They also make good eye candy.

RIR are also good dual birds and lay the most amount of eggs on your list, but a lot of roosters have a mean streak and hens can be bossy.

Marans lay the least out of the standard breeds on your list. Never had them before but I've heard temperament is pretty good. I'm also not sure if they're real dual purpose.

Silkies are very sweet, but are poor layers and being a bantam won't produce much meat.

Last edited:
Definitely not silkie, the wyandotte is likely the best choice as long as it's heritage type. Mayne the Plymouth Rock, secondly, they come on other colors besides barred.
The others are a little on the lanky side.
Ok thanks. I have a Wyandotte so that's nice to know😁

Hard choice for me between the RIR and the Bar Rk. Went with the RIR because of the litlle larger size, Have kept both and all the hens were great layers and friendly. Roosters new they were the cock of the walk and always presented themselves in a proud and stately "strut".

Hard choice for me between the RIR and the Bar Rk. Went with the RIR because of the litlle larger size, Have kept both and all the hens were great layers and friendly. Roosters new they were the cock of the walk and always presented themselves in a proud and stately "strut".
Thanks for the help 😁👍

For meat, eggs, temperament, extreme weather tolerance, and a dusty incubator I got hooked on Chanteclers. If I had to pick from the poll, Wyandottes would be my choice.
Edited Chantecler 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom