Which Chicken Do I Introduce Back To Flock First?

Bantam Username

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
I recently tried to introduce two young girls to my small flock (young girls were 12 wks old, flock was 20-24 weeks old, cockerel is just under a year old). They'd been in a pen next to the main flock for several weeks, then in a cordoned off area of the flocks run for a few days.
When I opened up the partition, all was ok to start with, just the usual scuffling and pecking order stuff. Then my blue hen (River) decided she hated the new lavender girl and attacked her every time she saw her. Then the cockerel joined in and kept attacking the two new girls too. As no blood was being shed, I left them to it. After 2 weeks of this, the new girls were very nervous and stopped coming out of the coop in the morning and just stayed inside looking miserable.
I decided the only way to settle them in was to split up the flock, so I removed the blue aggressive girl, another girl and the cockerel and they have been in a pen 2ft away where they can all see each other. Its now been over a week since I did this and I was wondering would I be best putting the cockerel back in first on his own, or the aggressive hen in on her own first?
Which way would you do it in the same situation and why?
Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I recently tried to introduce two young girls to my small flock (young girls were 12 wks old, flock was 20-24 weeks old, cockerel is just under a year old). They'd been in a pen next to the main flock for several weeks, then in a cordoned off area of the flocks run for a few days.
When I opened up the partition, all was ok to start with, just the usual scuffling and pecking order stuff. Then my blue hen (River) decided she hated the new lavender girl and attacked her every time she saw her. Then the cockerel joined in and kept attacking the two new girls too. As no blood was being shed, I left them to it. After 2 weeks of this, the new girls were very nervous and stopped coming out of the coop in the morning and just stayed inside looking miserable.
I decided the only way to settle them in was to split up the flock, so I removed the blue aggressive girl, another girl and the cockerel and they have been in a pen 2ft away where they can all see each other. Its now been over a week since I did this and I was wondering would I be best putting the cockerel back in first on his own, or the aggressive hen in on her own first?
Which way would you do it in the same situation and why?
Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Haven't had this situation my self, but I would let the roo in first. He is boss and maybe without the aggressive hen he will warm up to the new girls. Then when you put meany back in hopefully he will protect the new girls and put meany in line. Hope all works out.

If they are not sexually mature he will not warm up to them. The less aggressive hen would be my first choice. The aggressive hen last.

If they are not sexually mature he will not warm up to them. The less aggressive hen would be my first choice. The aggressive hen last.
Problem is, if I introduce the placid hen first, then the cockerel then the aggressive hen, the aggressive hen will be all on her own for a week. Thats why I was thinking, either introduce the cockerel first, then the two hens, or introduce the aggressive hen first, then the cock and placid hen together. That way, no one was left on their own. I was going to wait a week between introductions to let everything settle down you see. :/

By introducing the less aggressive one first, she becomes part of the established pecking order in the flock, thus increasing the number of birds in the flock. When you then introduce the aggressive one she then has one more bird in her way to reestablishing herself. If you introduce her with an ally she can more easily resume her bad ways. Being by herself won't kill her, they can live by themselves for some time. The week by herself may I repeat may work better because she may be willing to exist more peacefully to be part of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom