Which geese are best as pets?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
We keep chickens and ducks but will be getting our first geese this spring. I'm ordering from metzer. I plan on getting 1 male and 2 female. I'm looking for pets with the benefit of occasional eggs. I would like geese that will alert us of strangers but are not to aggressive. Friendliness to it's owners is our number 1 concern. Also flightless would be ideal but not a priority as we could clip their wings if needed. I would like a very large goose just because that's part of the appeal lol. They just seem to cute. So in short, we want..
Friendly,
Protective/guard with strangers,
Flightless or less likely to fly,
Good mothers just in case.
So far I've been considering buff, tufted buff or pilgrim which are at the top of my list. Also can I mix breeds? Thanks.

If your wanting something large that rules out Pilgrims. Truly flightless makes your choices extremely limited. Most breeds are typically friendly, it just depends on the individual "goose that is" really and how they are raised.

Of your top three listed the Buffs would fit your criteria the closest.

I think you should look into Sebastopols "kinda partial as I've raised them for over 10 years". They are flightless, good mothers, friendly, good alarms. But are on the smaller side of the geese scale and don't lay many eggs. Or Giant Dewlap Toulouse. They are nearly flightless, friendly, good alarms and are very large. But can be poor setters and layers due their size and breeding.

Yes, you can mix any and all geese breeds together. Except for Egyptians, the are to aggressive during breeding season to be with other breeds. Crossbreeding geese usually provide interesting colors and patterns. And can be hardier and lay better than some pure breeds.

If your wanting something large that rules out Pilgrims. Truly flightless makes your choices extremely limited. Most breeds are typically friendly, it just depends on the individual "goose that is" really and how they are raised.

Of your top three listed the Buffs would fit your criteria the closest.

I think you should look into Sebastopols "kinda partial as I've raised them for over 10 years". They are flightless, good mothers, friendly, good alarms. But are on the smaller side of the geese scale and don't lay many eggs. Or Giant Dewlap Toulouse. They are nearly flightless, friendly, good alarms and are very large. But can be poor setters and layers due their size and breeding.

Yes, you can mix any and all geese breeds together. Except for Egyptians, the are to aggressive during breeding season to be with other breeds. Crossbreeding geese usually provide interesting colors and patterns. And can be hardier and lay better than some pure breeds.

Thanks so much for the reply. We did end up purchasing pilgrims simply since you can tell male from female. I know their not big which does bum me out a bit but I think they are probably the best option as we have young children. Figure we can always get more layer down the line.
1f60a.png

Pilgrims are a good choice for goose beginners. They are a small and docile breed. Don't forget to clip wings. And if you getting day old goslings you could pinion them or have someone pinion them. Then they won't be able to fly.

Last edited:
Pilgrims are a good choice for goose beginners. They are a small and docile breed. Don't forget to clip wings. And if you getting day old goslings you could pinion them or have someone pinion them. Then they won't be able to fly.

I'm getting them from metzer as day olds. Do they offer that? I planned on clipping the wings but I would much prefer something more permanent..

I'm getting them from metzer as day olds. Do they offer that? I planned on clipping the wings but I would much prefer something more permanent..
You might ask them. Some waterfowl companies do offer it. You could check with you local vet and see if they will do it. Then set up an appointment when you get them in.

Back
Top Bottom