Which hardware cloth is better for quail pen?

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hi guys,

I may need some advises to decide which hardware cloth is better. And by saying better, I mean sturdier, last longer, better at keeping predators away, etc. So I'm planning to build a 9 ft x 9 ft x 6 ft quail pen/run and I'm raising them on the ground.

Number 1 is 19 gauge, 1/2 mesh opening, no coating. Number 2 is 23 gauge, 1/4 mesh opening and enamel coating. My understanding is that number 1 is thicker but with wider opening and no coating. Number 2 is thinner but with narrower opening and enamel coating. If their prices are basically the same, which one would you prefer to build your quail pen? Thank you.

The half inch will work for most purposes. Too small to stick a head or wing through, too small for most paws to reach in, plenty of visibility. I used it on my pen and it's holding up fine (minus the rusty corner where the dog always shoves his nose :rolleyes:).

The heavier gauge is usually better. And you can always coat it with something yourself if you find it isn't holding up (pain in the butt, but might never be necessary).

Back
Top Bottom