Which roo do I need to keep?

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
I have 1 RiR and ! silkie Roo. Pros about Funkey (rir) He protects the flock from Dogs, and hes a good hawk lookout, Funkey finds treats for the girls, and he is the friendlest chicken of the bunch, Hes the only one that lets me interact with them. He is so pretty!

The bad things bout Funkey... HE is a standred, and the rest of the flock are banties, I would like to get some other stan hens, but that will be awhile.
107523_hpim3712.jpg

Sugie the silkie roo Good things, he is A GREAT hawk watch, but the dogs look at him, and laugh, he mates a lot ( I only have a few girls so over kill), Sugie is the hardest chicken to catch EVER he will, and has run on the side of the fence to get away from you ( my flock are pets big time so he sucks as a pet)

The good things about sugie are : he Treat the girls well, And he MATCHES them. After a hour of trying to catch sugie, ounce you catch him, well he sits there dosen't bite, try to get away ect.

Heres Sugie
107523_hpim3605.jpg

Notes:
Funkey is the head of the flock
The girls do like him

I am trying to set up another area for one of the roos to live, but ... Which one do I leave with the hens? Or get rid of if things keep getting worst.

I have 3 hens One is broody. They are all silkies.

They were all gettting along they were wven sharing FOOD treats funkey found. But Its gotten to a point where they fought so I HAve gotta do something.
107523_picture_036.jpg

107523_hpim3616.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I would keep the one with the hens that they respect the most, and the one you can handle and interact with best.
Edit: woops hit submit to soon. Anyway, but in the end you have to do what you believe is right, and what will not only make your hens happy, but you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your ladies are Bantam Silkies I would keep the Silkie roo. Just keep handling him, bribery with treats, and he will come around.. its easier on your ladies to have a roo their size, and your chicks would be pure..
wink.png

It is sad. Your RIR is such a nice guy. I hope you can find a good home for him. And since he is such a good rooster, a home that doesn't include a crockpot.

Back
Top Bottom