Which Rooster should I get rid of?

Nolan91

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
I have a flock of 4 hens and 2 roosters. They are all about 6 months old now. I’ve always known that I have too many roosters but I’ve had a hard time finding a home for one. It wasn’t an issue until this morning.

One of my roosters was relentlessly attacking the other. Oddly enough, the one being attacked is the one I saw as the head rooster.

I got them separated for now but my question is this:
Which rooster should I get rid of? I’d prefer to have my best chance of keeping a non-aggressive rooster-which makes me think get rid of the attacking rooster.

Thanks!

I have a flock of 4 hens and 2 roosters. They are all about 6 months old now. I’ve always known that I have too many roosters but I’ve had a hard time finding a home for one. It wasn’t an issue until this morning.

One of my roosters was relentlessly attacking the other. Oddly enough, the one being attacked is the one I saw as the head rooster.

I got them separated for now but my question is this:
Which rooster should I get rid of? I’d prefer to have my best chance of keeping a non-aggressive rooster-which makes me think get rid of the attacking rooster.

Thanks!
The cockerel that is attacking the other cockerel is just taking over the flock. If the dominant cockerel does not submit and continues to fight back, the boys could fight until someone is dead or seriously injured. That does not mean either will be aggressive with you or other humans.
You want to pick the boy that is the gentlest with the pullets, tidbits them, and gives you space and respects you.

The cockerel that is attacking the other cockerel is just taking over the flock. If the dominant cockerel does not submit and continues to fight back, the boys could fight until someone is dead or seriously injured. That does not mean either will be aggressive with you or other humans.
You want to pick the boy that is the gentlest with the pullets, tidbits them, and gives you space and respects you.
I couldn’t have said it better myself! :clap

Oddly enough, the one being attacked is the one I saw as the head rooster.
That's because the lower rooster, the beta, is trying to take his place as the head rooster, or alpha. Beta is on the attack, trying to knock the alpha off his throne. Alpha only has to to defend his position. Does this make sense?

I was actually in your position last year with 2 older cockerels, my white bird was alpha and the red one was beta. To me, they both acted aggressively, so for me to decide which one to pick. I looked at there feather pattern, color, and the way they treated the hens. The one I chose is the red one which is also my avatar. He turned out to be very friendly, comes to me when I call for him, and let's me pet him. And he's gentle on his ladies.

Back
Top Bottom