White Cornish Standards

Several months ago I was able to purchase 5 standard white cornsh chicks out of which I kept 1 rooster and 1 hen. Over the past 2 months I have attempted to hatch a total of 21 eggs with poor results. The eggs are fertile but few live to hatch and all but 3 have died as chicks. I have good facilities and knowledge going back over 70 years so the only thing I can think is inbreding. So do you know of any breeder in the Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas area where I could find new blood? Feel free to reply by e-mail to [email protected]. Thank you and I will appreciate any help. David F. Peixotto

Several months ago I was able to purchase 5 standard white cornsh chicks out of which I kept 1 rooster and 1 hen. Over the past 2 months I have attempted to hatch a total of 21 eggs with poor results. The eggs are fertile but few live to hatch and all but 3 have died as chicks. I have good facilities and knowledge going back over 70 years so the only thing I can think is inbreding. So do you know of any breeder in the Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas area where I could find new blood? Feel free to reply by e-mail to [email protected]. Thank you and I will appreciate any help. David F. Peixotto
Not sure if he will have anything but try al6517, he is in OK. I know he has some very good Whites, but rarely has any for sale.
Unfortunately, Cornish just aren't a highly prolific layer so most breeders don't have much to sell. Plus these are not your average backyard chicken, as you may already know. Cold weather has a definite impact on them for fertility, so that is something to consider.
Good luck in finding what you need.

Charlie, I've sent you a private e-mail. Let me know what you think. David F. Peixotto

GENETICS 101

Find some good looking dark cornish that have reasonable fecundity to out cross with. The whites could be dominant white or recessive white. My guess is recessive white, You will find out after the first cross. I would not back cross to the white but do a sibling cross then pick the best white birds from the sibling cross. Hatch plenty of the eggs from the sibling cross- eat the offspring you do not want and breed the best.

If the white is recessive white then the F1 ( first generation) will be a non-white variety. If you do a non-white sibling (F1) cross, then some of the offspring (1 in 4) will be recessive white. Some of the non-white will be carriers (carry one recessive white allele) and some will not carry the recessive white allele. If you decide to use some of the nonwhite birds you can test cross them to find out if they are a carrier. Cross them with a recessive white bird and half the offspring will be white; the other half will be nonwhite and carriers.

If the white is dominant white then every F1 chick will be white (assuming the bird is purebred for dominant white). The dominant white sibling cross will produce mostly dominant white birds (3/4).

You can always back cross to the dark cornish to enhance egg laying and fecundity once you establish the white color in the offspring.

Most people do not like out crossing but if you can not hatch eggs from the birds you have then eventually you will not have any birds at all. Out crossing will insure the genes from the birds will be found in future offspring.

The male in my avatar has cornish blood in his breeding. He is an offspring from cornish cross experiments.

Tim

Last edited:
Do you have male white Cornish for sale? Lost my breeding male and have two girls with no rooster.

GENETICS 101

Find some good looking dark cornish that have reasonable fecundity to out cross with. The whites could be dominant white or recessive white. My guess is recessive white, You will find out after the first cross. I would not back cross to the white but do a sibling cross then pick the best white birds from the sibling cross. Hatch plenty of the eggs from the sibling cross- eat the offspring you do not want and breed the best.

If the white is recessive white then the F1 ( first generation) will be a non-white variety. If you do a non-white sibling (F1) cross, then some of the offspring (1 in 4) will be recessive white. Some of the non-white will be carriers (carry one recessive white allele) and some will not carry the recessive white allele. If you decide to use some of the nonwhite birds you can test cross them to find out if they are a carrier. Cross them with a recessive white bird and half the offspring will be white; the other half will be nonwhite and carriers.

If the white is dominant white then every F1 chick will be white (assuming the bird is purebred for dominant white). The dominant white sibling cross will produce mostly white birds (3/4).

You can always back cross to the dark cornish to enhance egg laying and fecundity once you establish the white color in the offspring.

Most people do not like out crossing but if you can not hatch eggs from the birds you have then eventually you will not have any birds at all. Out crossing will insure the genes from the birds will be found in future offspring.

The male in my avatar has cornish blood in his breeding. He is an offspring from cornish cross experiments.

Tim

Question Tim. I have no personal experience with dominant white, but was thinking that the F1's out of a dark / dominant white cross would likely come out looking like jubilee's. No ?

Question Tim. I have no personal experience with dominant white, but was thinking that the F1's out of a dark / dominant white cross would likely come out looking like jubilee's. No ?

Genetics 101

No- if they are dominant white then the hypostatic color would be black with the epistatic color being dominant white. Dominant white birds can be black, barred, mottled, blue or even splash under the white. Most likely your whites are recessive white- then the cornish can be just about any phenotype under the white.

In order to produce jubilee in the F1 generation one would have to cross a jubilee with a dark cornish. Then all of the offspring will be jubilee or 1/2 will be jubilee and 1/2 dark cornish.

I have worked with dark cornish some and produced some almost black birds through selective breeding. I can not remember the research article but others have produced blacks from the dark phenotype through selective breeding. Dark cornish are supposed to be recessive wheaten but I think some carry the brown allele and when it segregates you get the very dark almost black birds, I could be wrong and it is something else.

Jubilee are a dominant white dark phenotype but if the whites are dominant white then the dominant genes for black color in the whites when crossed with dark cornish will produce F1 birds that are epistatic white ( some may leak red).

The F2 generation could include jubilee or even false standard red pyle males but the probabilities are not in favor of that happening. Females will not be standard red pyle because they are not wild type at the E locus. It all depends on the number of chicks that are hatched.

The male in the back of this picture is leaking red in his hackles- that is an indication he is most likely dominant white and not recessive white. He also has a black spot showing. With that said, most recessive white genes are not leaky but there are documented cases of leaky recessive white alleles.

The birds in this picture are also leaking some red. Could also be a red pigment from clay. The owner may make comment on the birds.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom