White Leghorn chicks.. Or are they??

jmneill1

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2015
Hello folks. I've been pouring over this forum for a couple weeks since picking up my first seven White Leghorn chicks from the local farm store. They are doing wonderfully and I have finished their coup. (over and over again)

This brings me to my question: The chicks are 14 days old and are developing brown wing and tail feathers.
Is this all part of growing up for white leghorn chicks, or do I have seven little mysteries on my hands? :)

The feathers are darker than the pictures depicts, as I was unable to spread the little one's wings using only one hand.

Thanks for having me on the forum, and thanks in advance for any opinions!

1zn1krc.jpg

2h8bm94.jpg

I have one white leghorn that is less than a week old, she already has white flight feathers. They are a very light buttercup yellow as chicks. Ill try to post a picture if you feel it would help.

I have one white leghorn that is less than a week old, she already has white flight feathers. They are a very light buttercup yellow as chicks. Ill try to post a picture if you feel it would help.

Thanks for the offer MaLoTu, but at this point It's a safe bet I have anything but white leghorns. :)

Here are some pictures taken a few minutes ago showing the developing color. I'd welcome any input as to what they might, or might not be. Someone suggested red sex links, another cornish rocks, but with a Google search, I can neither confirm or rule out either..
The farm store did have cornish rocks at the time I bought these if it helps...

Once again, thanks for any input..

15cm5he.jpg

21o1nc.jpg

wh0aox.jpg

If they are Red Sex Links, you will get some great eggs! We have a Leghorn, Golden Comet (aka Golden Sex Link), and a Silver Laced Wyandotte and the golden comet (Ginger) gives us good sized eggs missing about 1 or 2 days a month. Mrs. Howell (Leghorn) lays about the same but her eggs average 60-64 grams in size. Either way, great birds :)

They are definitely not Cornish X. Those are solid white and would be much bigger by now.

They are definitely not Cornish X. Those are solid white and would be much bigger by now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but could I take the fact you mentioned above (lack of super rapid growth) that these are probably not meat birds?
Being this was initially a white leghorn purchase, I was of course, after good egg layers..

Thanks..

Ok, new pictures. 18 days old today, give or take a day.
Any new clues, educated guesses or ideas?
Again, these came from a box marked white leghorn pullets..
Could they be a leghorn cross? My uneducated guess would be no, as I see no sign whatsoever of white feathers..

29pxe2v.jpg

9a9xuh.jpg

8zmzrq.jpg

They are not Leghorns. They still look like red sex links to me. They are excellent brown egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom