Pcmandooo

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Chiloquin oregon
Opened the coop this morning and 26 of my 27 four week old littles came pouring out. One however was in a corner, head down eyes closed, breathing heavily. Immediately she was social distanced into the insulated brooder next to the woodstove. Picking her up I noticed her crop was still half full and squishy. Her breathing was 10 breaths in ten seconds. No watery eyes or runny nose, Comb pale, skin around her butt bright red. Projectile white, thick mucus like poop. Water and food available but she didn't take any. After six hours I gave water by syringe back of mouth left of trachea. (Don't get fluids in the trachea!!) she hated that. Soon after I noticed dark fluids pouring out of her mouth as her head was slumped over. I observed and waited, after another two hours and a lot more mucus poop she became restless and then began drinking water non stop which would then pour back out of her mouth. I realized it was crop blockage at that point, took her in one arm, turned her upside down and gently massaged her crop toward her head. Her head tilted back, eyes closed and water, crumbles, scratch and dirt came pouring out and it seemed like it would never end. This stuff poured out for ever! I turned her back over because I was afraid she would suffocate. She then took a nap for an hour, four breaths every ten seconds, now she's back up trying to drink all the water. I'm thinking it was sour crop though there was no smell. Couldn't find a thread on this here when I was troubleshooting so I figured I'd post my experience

You did all the right things and you did the best for her. The reason it wasn't sour crop is because it hadn't sat and started to grow yet (which is a good thing). This would just be considered a blockage.

Back
Top Bottom