Whiting True Blue from McMurray

They will lay as long as they have adequate light. I got mine early summer and they started laying in late October. I have them on 15 hours light, so I'm adding roughly 5 hours of light right now.
I guess we are getting 10 hours of light here too but it feels like so much less :lol:

I am in love with them. I have RIR, Easter Eggers and WTB's. The WTB are my favorite. They are a bit flighty but no more than my easter eggers. They started laying earlier that both of the other 2 breeds, right at 22 weeks (in the middle of December). The eggs are a beautiful sky blue and are over 2 ounces within 2 weeks of laying. Free range great. Are at the bottom of the pecking order. Most have clean faces, but 1 does have cheeks. They seem a little more sensitive to the cold. I am really considering to going all WTB in the future with my flock.

Attachments

• Eggs.jpg
    Eggs.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 18
I am in love with them. I have RIR, Easter Eggers and WTB's. The WTB are my favorite. They are a bit flighty but no more than my easter eggers. They started laying earlier that both of the other 2 breeds, right at 22 weeks (in the middle of December). The eggs are a beautiful sky blue and are over 2 ounces within 2 weeks of laying. Free range great. Are at the bottom of the pecking order. Most have clean faces, but 1 does have cheeks. They seem a little more sensitive to the cold. I am really considering to going all WTB in the future with my flock.
thank you! yay

winters are mild here so I suspect theyll be okay with it.

I ordered 6 WTBs with 9 RIRs eighteen months ago from a Murray McMurray. All chicks were healthy and thrived. BUT, it took 5-6 weeks longer for the WTBs to start laying, the eggs are a little smaller and a very pale blue (I expected a bit bluer), and they don’t lay nearly as many eggs as the RIRs. Of the six girls, I was lucky to get 3, maybe 4 eggs per day when they were in full production and now that the days are short, I get maybe one per week. The RIRs are still laying, despite molting, and I get 7-9 per day from the nine red hens. When it’s time to cull the flock and get replacements, I won’t get WTBs again. The novelty of blue eggs quickly wore off.

Though I’m not familiar with this particular breed; I have ordered chicks from both Murray McMurray and Meyer Hatcheries in the last four years. All of the birds from Murray are alive and healthy three years later; though I have had several of the Meyer birds die off in their first year. I would say that whatever the breed you choose Murray’s hatchery is a solid choice.

Back
Top Bottom