Whiting True Blue info

The males are nasty. Almost as bad as my Copper Maran male rooster. Thats another area that my husband has to do as my Copper Maran rooster is also nasty. The waiting colors in itself are all different colors look like every other breed under the sun from white to Blue to Black to mix colors. I'm just going to wait to see what happens with this breed as it's very strange to me to have a one breed in so many different colors.
By "nasty" do you mean MEAN ? I ask because we ended up butchering our beautiful blue Whiting rooster. He was mean and I would not go into the coop alone with him in there. I have 5 baby Whiting roos that have just started trying to crow and they will end up with the same fate if they are mean like he was.

The ones I want to keep them so I can read more I have my husband take care of. He lets them know who's boss and then there's no problem. My Java peacock males are very mean also. I don't go in those pens my husband as they don't bother him

Do any of you have eggs now? I have 3 pullets & a roo all hatched from lovely, vivid blue eggs who should begin to lay within the month. (The parents were originally from McMurray.) Picking up another quad this wkend from someone who purchased from McMurray this Spring and not happy with their flighty behavior (escape pen). Just wants them gone.

I so hope these eggs will be a more intense blue than my SBELs. If so, the two roos will be "tolerated" and contained in runs, for the sole purpose of fertile eggs to hatch. While I have an incubator, I prefer to have my broody BOs set them & raise them for a while.

These are a lot more "flighty" than my regular laying flock but, those girls are larger birds. I am hoping that a foster BO hen will raise them to be calm with humans, at least more so than a light and brooder box. It has worked nicely with the Ameraucanas hatched, so far. My SBELs, obviously leghorn genetics, are also independent, flighty, etc. But, they are calming some with age and the daily hand feeding of scratch, treats, etc. Not in your pocket but, don't scramble and fly everywhere like before as I approach the yard. I have hopes they will be ok. They DO fly waaaay more than the usual heavy breeds with the game backgrounds. A few older free range Wyandottes have helped to train them to respond better.

I just wanted to follow up with you about the combs. I have two 12 week old Whiting cockerels and they both have pea combs, which is surprising because they say single combs in the magazine. They are pretty friendly too. Not as sweet as the Red Stars but much friendlier than the White Leghorns.
My Whitings are a couple of months old now. There is considerable variation in the combs, as well as the color of the birds. Over time I will probably do some selecting towards the smaller combs because we do have some cold weather in the winter (not usually colder than thirty below, but still...). I like the variation in color of the birds, though will probably select away from all-white.

I don't worry about temperament, because my birds aren't pets. They are free range, protected by a livestock guardian dog, and they survive better if they are a bit skittish. That said, in my experience, young birds are almost always skittish (and should be, unless you can keep them completely enclosed and safe from predators). The Whitings aren't any more skittish than any other young birds I've raised, and they come to me and flock around my feet when I go out to feed them. But then, I don't really think White Leghorns are all that skittish, either -- the WL's I've had were some of the first to come meet me when I went out to do chores. I just don't like the big combs in our winters.

Anyway, so far I'm quite pleased with my Whitings. Looking forward to getting our first eggs from them early next year.

Kathleen

Yes, if not concerned with activity -- skittish -- they do become targets for predators. All my flocks are free range but do have different areas. The larger birds are just more inclined to be less likely to escape over a fence than these lighter breeds. I can see why. LOL But roosters I like to range only with the flock I want them to be with, so some containment there. This is especially true with having those I want to control for reproduction. I have ability to contain in large areas while they are mating, then can just collect those eggs for hatch/sale. I am currently increasing my pens for their comfort and my convenience in keeping the birds with only those desired.

Primarily these new pens are due to the SBELs & TBWs. I did pick up the new quad this past weekend. Different colors feather, shanks, all have small pea comb. My first TBW cockerel has an odd comb....looks like a pea comb that changed it's mind and tried to grow out like a single, then flops. OK, I want blue eggs, not concerned with his comb. He was from a dark blue egg -- his call to fame will be an ability to pass that, or he will be culled. His feathering is lovely, conformation nice. I like all of the hens. They are on the small size (some young) and would like a little more growth, none have single combs. My SBELs have single combs (all fm MPC) and are white with black flecks. They are laying light blue eggs, I want darker. Hope one of my TBW, BBS Am, or LA roos will improve that.

It's all a crap shoot of sorts.
lol.png
At any rate, I anticipate an EXTREMELY colorful egg collection this spring. Marans, TBW, LA, BBS, BO, Wyandotte hens.
Should have everything but pure white eggs. Would like some Cali Grey....both for white eggs & crossing with LA & BBS roos for blue egg sexlinks.

This is addicting!

I purchased some True Blue Whitings from McMurray hatchery that were hatched on June 1, so they are just now 3 months old. Ordered 16 with a friend & I kept 6 of them. One of my 6, I am positive is a rooster (supposed to be all pullets). I have several questions, if someone who has had theirs for awhile can answer: these birds look ALOT like Leghorns, in their body shape, tails, etc. Is the breed a cross between Leghorns & Ameracauna? Also, for being 3 months old, they are still awful small (compared to most breeds at that age)...... I've been wanting to integrate them with the rest of my flock but am hesitant to do so because of their size. Anyone else think that they are slow growers?

After reading some of the posts about the mean temperament of the roos, I doubt mine will be around here long.

Mine are smaller than many of my other birds of same age. But, leghorns & many of the other birds of the game type are typically leaner & slower to grow, IMO. I do have a roo and he hasn't been mean "yet" but we will see. I've heard some Andalusions were used -- not sure -- but they look to be a finer animal. For sure, they are not 1/2 the size of my BO hens, LOL.

The SBELs I have are definitely leghorn crosses. Now those two roos are aggressive. My two were monsters! Because of the cost, I hated to kill them so soon. Instead, I used water! They would sneak up and rush you, fling themselves at you. One day filling the waterers, I saw one doing his "dance" and then, airborn! I whipped around and sprayed him good!!! At the same time I gave him my loud, gruff, STOP IT command.

He shook off, sqwacked and left. Try two, another shower. I even began carrying a smaller water can with a sprinkler spout. Apparently he (they) are not like the showers because now, while they still attempt a flog once in a while, I would say it is 20% of before, in about 3 weeks. Now, if he confronts me, I give him the STOP IT command and you can see him thinking about it.

So the SBEL pullets were also of this finer build. When they began to lay, I noticed a growth surge, and they are still small types but, look more mature now. Hope my TBWs do the same. My first TBW eggs are on the "any day" wait now.

Mine are smaller than many of my other birds of same age. But, leghorns & many of the other birds of the game type are typically leaner & slower to grow, IMO. I do have a roo and he hasn't been mean "yet" but we will see. I've heard some Andalusions were used -- not sure -- but they look to be a finer animal. For sure, they are not 1/2 the size of my BO hens, LOL.

The SBELs I have are definitely leghorn crosses. Now those two roos are aggressive. My two were monsters! Because of the cost, I hated to kill them so soon. Instead, I used water! They would sneak up and rush you, fling themselves at you. One day filling the waterers, I saw one doing his "dance" and then, airborn! I whipped around and sprayed him good!!! At the same time I gave him my loud, gruff, STOP IT command.

He shook off, sqwacked and left. Try two, another shower. I even began carrying a smaller water can with a sprinkler spout. Apparently he (they) are not like the showers because now, while they still attempt a flog once in a while, I would say it is 20% of before, in about 3 weeks. Now, if he confronts me, I give him the STOP IT command and you can see him thinking about it.

So the SBEL pullets were also of this finer build. When they began to lay, I noticed a growth surge, and they are still small types but, look more mature now. Hope my TBWs do the same. My first TBW eggs are on the "any day" wait now.
I don't even know at what age to expect them to start laying == TBW's ...?

Last edited:
I had received mind at the end of April and they started laying small eggs a couple weeks ago but they are getting larger weekly. I had gotten a peach colored egg today. I'm wondering if anyone else got a weird color also. It was orange 2 Peach. I will try to put up a picture
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom