Who and What am I ? I Added Photo of the Parents..Please look again

Quote:
What I meant was that Cameo peahens don't inherit their Cameo gene from their mother, so it isn't obvious that she was the mother of the Cameo peahen babies. If there was a male Cameo peachick, then yes, she'd have to be the mother.

When I looked again at the second pic of the father (the pic with three birds facing left, with Dad in the middle and a hen on either side), I noticed that the lower part of his wing is dark, which is the marking of a male split to Blackshoulder. The first hen is Blackshoulder, but I can't tell what color she is. If someone here can tell me what color she is, I can continue plotting out possible offspring. And while you're at it, please tell me what colors the other hens are. I've seen Cameo and Opal mentioned in the thread. Once I know for sure the colors of the possible mothers, I can add that information to what we know about the offspring, and draw up possibilities.

This is what I know so far, with other questions:

You have Cameo peachicks. Are they all female? Are there any Cameo males?

You have a Blackshoulder peachick. Since this mutation is not sex-linked, the peachick's gender doesn't matter in trying to figure things out. Do females split to Blackshoulder look any different from females that don't carry the Blackshoulder gene? I don't know....someone else will have to tell me.

The father of the peachicks is IB split Blackshoulder and Cameo (or possibly Peach). If your Cameo peachicks are all female, then their father must have one copy of the Cameo gene (daughters get their Z chromosome only from their father, and that's where the Cameo gene sits), but it wouldn't say anything about the mother. If you have a male Cameo chick, then its mother would have to be the Cameo hen (are we sure it's a Cameo hen in the pic? Does that mean the Blackshoulder hen is a Cameo Blackshoulder?). Males have two Z chromosomes (one from Dad, one from Mom), and thus need two copies of Cameo to show the color.

Does the breeder know what the parents are? That would make things much simpler. Or....are you the breeder? If so, can you tell me "what you see" as far as color/pattern in the parents?

You said you have one male with four hens, but I've seen only two pics that contained hens (two hens with the male, and one hen by herself). My screen shows a total of three pics of parents (the two I just mentioned, plus the one of the father alone displaying). I do see several boxes on my screen, which makes me think there are pics that didn't upload properly.

Based on what the possible parents are and what the offspring are, I can try and sort it out by process of elimination, but in the future (if you're the breeder), you'll be better off with some more control as to what chicks you want to breed if you know for sure who and what the parents are. If we figure out what the parents are, we can figure out what offspring are possible from this breeding group.

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/img/smilies/smile.png

Last edited:
the 3 hens are without a doubt, cameo, last is opal, and the white is a black shoulder something, looks very similar to my cameo black shoulder hens. There isnt much difference one from the other marking wise in black shoulder hens though, so without knowledge of what she came from, it'd be hard for me to say 100% for sure.

and yes the IB male does have to be split to B.S. and cameo if he's the only male in the pen

and the two cameo chicks look to be a pair, thus the cameo hen being the most likely suspect for being the mother

Last edited:
yep, the mostly white hen on the left is without a doubt a black shoulder something. Most likely cameo.
Anytime they are white with head and neck color, that's BS markings on hens

Quote:
Thank you!!

OK, I can proceed. First, the results of the Cameo hens' offspring with this male. Then, I will post possibilities for the Blackshoulder hen. Since we don't know for sure what the Blackshoulder hen is, I will first begin with the assumption that she is IB Blackshoulder, and then substitute other colors. Again, this is Male X Female. A color or pattern after the word "split" means the bird doesn't show it, but has one copy of the gene for it -- although males split Blackshoulder will have some black feathers on the lower wing. SO...in terms of what you see, you can lump together the ones that are the same before the word "split" (i.e. Male IB will look the same as Male IB split Cameo).

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X Cameo =

1/8 Male Cameo split Blackshoulder
1/8 Male Cameo
1/8 Male IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder
1/8 Male IB split Blackshoulder
1/8 Female Cameo split Blackshoulder
1/8 Female Cameo
1/8 Female IB split Blackshoulder
1/8 Female IB

These are the genotypes. What you'd see (phenotypes) are 1/4 Cameo Males, 1/4 IB Males, 1/4 Cameo Females, and 1/4 IB Females.

It is also possible that one or more of the Cameo hens is split to Blackshoulder (this is why I asked if there is a distinguishing color or pattern in females that denotes them being split to Blackshoulder, as there is in males). If this is the case, these are the genotype possibilities:

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X Cameo split Blackshoulder =

1/16 Male Cameo Blackshoulder
1/16 Male Cameo
1/16 Male IB Blackshoulder split Cameo
1/16 Male IB split Cameo
1/16 Female Cameo Blackshoulder
1/16 Female Cameo
1/16 Female IB Blackshoulder
1/16 Female IB

In this case, what you'd see are 1/16 Male Cameo Blackshoulder, 3/16 Male Cameo, 1/16 Male IB Blackshoulder, 3/16 Male IB, 1/16 Female Cameo Blackshoulder, 3/16 Female Cameo, 1/4 Female IB.

The "mystery" Blackshoulder hen possibilities:

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X IB Blackshoulder =

1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder split Cameo
1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder
1/8 Male IB split Blackshoulder
1/8 Female Cameo Blackshoulder
1/8 Female IB Blackshoulder

In this case, what you'd see are 1/4 Male IB Blackshoulder, 1/4 Male IB, 1/8 Female Cameo Blackshoulder, 1/8 Female Cameo, 1/8 Female IB Blackshoulder, 1/8 Female IB.

If she is one of the autosomal recessive colors (Bronze, Opal, Midnight, etc), the genotype results would be the same, except that you'd add whatever her color is after the word split. So if she was Opal Blackshoulder, the offspring genotypes would be the same, except you'd add "split Opal" to each. If she is one of the sex-linked colors (Purple, Cameo, Peach...I highly doubt she's Violette), see below:

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X Cameo Blackshoulder =

1/8 Male Cameo Blackshoulder
1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder split Cameo
1/4 Female Cameo Blackshoulder
1/4 Female IB Blackshoulder

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X Peach Blackshoulder =

1/8 Male Cameo Blackshoulder split Peach
1/8 Male Cameo split Peach and Blackshoulder
1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder split Peach
1/8 Male IB split Peach and Blackshoulder

IB split Cameo and Blackshoulder X Purple Blackshoulder =

1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder split Cameo and Purple
1/8 Male IB Blackshoulder split Purple
1/8 Male IB split Cameo, Purple and Blackshoulder
1/8 Male IB split Purple and Blackshoulder

If you see anything different from the above, then the birds must be split for other genes. From what I've learned, the Pied and White genes show some white feathers in split birds. Since the parents don't seem to have these, we can rule out that those. But the parents could be split for other colors.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for this detailed information! I was amazed as I read this.....I really do understand a little more about what I have and can have in the future with these birds!
Another thumbs up for this site and all the wonderful members like you that are willing to share your knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom