Who are the parents?

KittyKat3756

Songster
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Norfolk, UK
Can anyone guess the parents of these two? I had two cockerels, a light Sussex and a gold Legbar. The mothers were most likely a light Sussex or a gold Legbar, but might have been a silver Welsummer. The Sussex and Welsummers are all pure bred, the Legbars are crosses from a gold Legbar cockerel and cream Legbar hens.
The smaller chick is 6 weeks old, bigger one is 7 weeks so this is their first set of feathers. They're both showing neck feathers typical of an adult light Sussex under the leftover fluff.

6 week old chick:
IMG_20180420_195032.jpg IMG_20180420_195040.jpg

7 week old chick:
IMG_20180420_195134.jpg IMG_20180420_195152.jpg IMG_20180419_094123.jpg

Edit, here's most likely option A:
IMG_20180420_135331.jpg IMG_20170727_104048.jpg

Here's most likely option B:
IMG_20170727_104052.jpg IMG_20170727_104031.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking that it's most likely the gold Legbar cockerel and the light Sussex female, but I don't have any experience with guessing crosses so hoping that someone with genetics knowledge can step in and shed some light

I don't think there is any Legbar in them.
The older one has definitely got Legbar in it because the Legbars are the only breed I've got which has a crest and the older chick grew one over the last week or so. It's also showing the same orange/rust/red colouring on the wings that the Legbar cockerel developed when he was their age.

The Sussex is likely the father for both. I'm not seeing any barring on either chick, which the Legbar rooster would have passed to all offspring. He looks pure for the barring gene. The older chick may have a 'Legbar' mother. However, the pictured Legbar hen is lacking barring. How certain are you that she's actually a Legbar and not a mixed breed look-alike?

The Sussex is likely the father for both. I'm not seeing any barring on either chick, which the Legbar rooster would have passed to all offspring. He looks pure for the barring gene. The older chick may have a 'Legbar' mother. However, the pictured Legbar hen is lacking barring. How certain are you that she's actually a Legbar and not a mixed breed look-alike?

The Legbars are siblings… I've seen a fair few of them and never seen one with clear barring. Do you have a photo of what you mean? I'm wondering if your Legbars have deviated from ours and it's just a standard difference.

junebuggena: I see what you mean now! She does have very faint barring on the lighter feathers which didn't come out in the photo. It's mostly on her underside and the photo was very much from the top looking down on her.

Back
Top Bottom