Who are your parents, little nugget??

prostar

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Apr 23, 2015
Sunny SoCal
Okay so here's the scenario. Last Saturday had a friend call me up in a panic over an unplanned chicknancy. He's not set up for chicks so...figured it would be best if I stepped in and gave little nugget a home.

Here's the thing. He knows nothing about the chickens (and I'm still too much of a noob to guess breeds). They're his wife's deal (and his wife is in Mexico for a couple weeks.)

So, here's nugget. I know it's too early to tell pullet or roo, for some reason my mind is sadly thinking roo but could just be an overly defensive pullet too.

The darker one is a speckled Sussex, got her from the feed store so nugget wouldn't be alone. We suspect the roo shoots blanks since Black Broody was brooding a bunch of not viable eggs.

Here's my friends flock (black broody not pictured since she was hiding in her milk crate nest)

So what do you think the roo is? I'm suspecting the mom is the red there...what are your thoughts byc?

The Black Tailed Buff roo in the pic is probably the dad. I've found most of my mutt chicks take after their dads. Coloration is correct too. Red is probably the mom, unless there is another bird with red/buff coloration.

Broodies find amazing ways to kill their eggs before they even start to develop. I get maybe 30% hatch rates from my broodies and upwards of 80% from my incubators, all fathered by the same roos.

Back
Top Bottom