who breeds marans? any color birds, dark eggs

mergmet

Songster
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
SE Virginia, Surry County
I am trying to start a list (for my own use)

If you breed any color marans and are working to improve the egg color, please reply, email, or PM.

I want to start a list so we can work together and do some trades....

If interested, please let me know!

Margaret
[email protected]

Margaret -

As you know, I am just starting to get into the Marans. I really want to work to improve the egg color too. This is a good idea to make a list!

I want to get some Marans one day and everyone here has talked me out of getting any hatchery one's because the egg color is not dark.I don't think I want any cukoo's cause they look so much like my Barred Rocks which I love.I will probably want some other color pattern and that will just make them more expensive.

good marans won't be cheap, no matter what the color. many of the top breeders sell them per dozen regardless of color.

my copper blacks are feather legged, I have some of both in all colors that I currently have

right now my colors are mixed, you might get them cheaper than you would once I get them straightened out again. I have a combo of copper black, wheaten, and golden for $55 per dozen. this will include some with feathered and some without feathered legs.

I try to send 15- 18 eggs.

I should have them available starting 2nd week in march with my current list.

They are nice birds with decent dark eggs. You should only hatch the darkest eggs of the birds you are breeding, and over time your egg color will improve.

my blues should be laying soon, and this year I plan to add blue wheaten and blue coppers.

Kris I really enjoyed chatting with you the other day. Keep in touch!

Margaret

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind, but when you say mixed do you mean the chicks will not be pure bred or will the dozen be a mixture of several different breeds?

they will be purebreed marans, I just can't guarantee the colors, my copper black rooster is throwing some wheaten chicks, and some of the wheaten are too red. They are great layers, and the egg color is pretty good, but the bird color is what i cannot guarantee.

I also send some goldens becuase their egg color is darkest of all my marans.

M

Back
Top Bottom