Who Sews??

Quote:
My wife would agree.... She got a good one when she was a kid and she still uses it ALL THE TIME!

My mother has a nearly 50 year old singer, my grandmothers old singer about 75 yo actually runs too. I burned up 2 new Singers...then for college graduation, got a Pfaff it still was metal....it just finished sewing 3 costumes after running about 15 hours straight! My adivce is hit an estate sale....the older ones are better (the Pfaff while I hate to admit is 20 years old). My dad bought my mom a newer one....not nearly as good although it was twice the price....its been repaired a couple of times and she hardly sews. I just got off Craigs list a brother that can do 5x7 embroidery, work as a straight sewing machine or has a longer base that can be attached for quilting, but I just use it mostly embroider, but had my oldest use it straight sewing some for our party. It would have been 1200 new, but I got it for 500.

i sew quilts and pillows and stuff for my kid's rooms,lol all 5 of them. i love to sew and do crafts!
big_smile.png

I have 2 machines. My "good" sewing machine is an Elna Heirloom (it was $1100 8 years ago). It sews perfect stitches with wonderfully consistent tension on many different types of fabric. It's a fantastic machine. In the past few year I have found myself making a lot of costumes for a local theater company. I do 2 - 3 shows a year and will be sewing anything from felt to fake fur (and lots of it!). Needless to say it was gumming up my "fussy" machine. So, I bought a 1970's era Kenmore off of Craigslist. It's solid metal and sews like a champ. That thing will go through 3 layers of fake fur with no problem. It doesn't have immaculate stitches, and it's loud, but it just goes and goes for hours on end. Now I use my nice machine for my fussy tailored clothes without worrying about the costuming trashing it.

2 different machines, 2 different purposes. It all depends on what you need it to do.

Last edited:
I have 4 machines: Embroidery, Serger, Industrial straight-stitcher and multi-use Singer. I use mine to make canvas bags and awning covers to machine quilting on a Handi-Frame.
Plus I collect the older White and singer models from 1900's-1930"s.

I have been sewing on an inexpensive Brother for 15 years without a glitch. I've got a lot of miles on it, too. The only hang up is that I can't machine quilt due to small space under the arm. But, for the price, I have been extremely pleased with performance for price.

I have a Brother I purchased at wal mart for $134.00 about 5 yrs ago. I agree with Horsejody and Steffpeck. The darn thing cant hold tension worth a poop and I spend more time fighting with it then I do actually using it. I have a few projects that I have been wanting to do for a while but cant because the tension is all screwed up and Only my mom can figure it out. My mom has an A White Sewing machine with all steel parts. She has no trouble with it. Growing up we always had an antique Singer that had its own table stand. Thinking about fixing the tension and selling my Brother and investing more money in a machine with steel parts or an antique Singer.

Sears has awesome machines at a very good price. I have had mine for 7 years and never a problem. Other people I know have also commented to me about how they love their Kenmore. Great machine at a great price. Mine isn't really fancy but has some great options! I have created many beautiful projects such as dance dresses and quilts on it. Never had a problem with it bunching or anything. I will never own anything else.

I have a $250 brother I got from Walmart about 4 years ago. I do everything from quilting to making formals with it and I love it. It even came with a walking foot. It' nothing fancy, but it has about 40 different stitches, button holer, darner, and needle threader and is also very easy to thread.

Back
Top Bottom