Why are my babies terrified of me?

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
Three weeks ago I got some baby ducks and chicks from tractor supply and have been doing everything I can to get them to like me but they are scared to death of me. I’ve tried to lure them in with treats but they won’t have it. Anytime I’m near they freak out and run all over the place. I really want them to like me and get to the point where they’ll run over to me. What can I do for them?

They are afraid of you because they are a prey/predator animal without a mother hen/duck to protect them. You are viewed as a predator to them.
Eventually, when they realize you aren't going to eat them (yet) and you bring them food, they will run to you but not yet.
Some people sit in the brooder with their baby birds for hours and let them explore you. If you come at them from above, that is predator behavior.
They aren't human babies or even puppies. You can't anthropomorphize birds.

Last edited:
I usually get my chicks out of the brooder one by one, and hold them and give them treats. I use mealworms and my chicks (and ducklings) absolutely love them! If you give them mealworms, you have to make sure they have access to grit too.

They learn pretty fast that people=treats. Mine are a couple weeks old and they get very excited when they see me walk in the room.

You also have to spend time with them. I usually hang out in the room with them a couple times a day, so they can get used to seeing me and hearing me.

Others said good things :yesss:
One of the best ways in my opinion is just to sit with them around you, not do abrupt movements, and make them approach to you just offering them some food. Before, only launch some treats. A few, so they'll want other and other. Then, offer some food in hands. Slowly, let them explore you and let them to climb on your legs, your shoes...I think it will help very much.
It takes some time, but i think you can do a great work :cool: Don't discourage you!

What can I do for them?
Pics might be needed to get a true assessment of the issue here! ;):pop
Spend TIME sitting still in their presence... down low, at their level. Move slowly.. bait yourself with some meal worms, laid near you and on your legs (or even chick feed) and keep your hands to yourself.. the pin feathers coming in can be painful if squeezed and you want them to have a good experience.

Try a little scrambled egg one time. New things often take a couple of introductions to realize how much they love something, so be patient. Please note I am a tightwad with treats but they can be useful at times.

How many ducks and chicks total? What are you feeding them? Are these your first birds? Do you know what breeds they are, as this can have major impact on flightiness. Are they indoor or outdoor brooder? 24 hour lighting or something more natural? Many things can effect behavior... including keeping the two species together... ducks were more scared than chicks in my experience. And once I thought I would never get a Leghorn chick again because of how their flightiness effected other chicks... but we adored her a ton! We just learned to handle the most freaked out one first to minimize the impact on others. Once the birds grew out, they all had their own individual personalities and made up their own mind how they feel about me.. :)

Larger flocks and larger spaces are more difficult to achieve the close calmness in my experience. Smaller spaces can minimize chasing and maximize exposure. But if we show up for 3 or 5 minutes a few times a day we are literal strangers. How you approach them is important. Hovering from the top makes us like aerial predators. Spend longer periods of time like a half hour and you become part of the environment... talk to them in a low voice so they get used to hearing you. When I have mine indoors they are raised to waist level or higher and approach from the front.. let them get on you. They choose to approach, then slowly interact by waving a finger. When they make the choice it's different.

Most of mine get individual rides when being trained to return to the coop in the evening. The individual handling does seem to impact their confidence in me. Once they are old enough to roost.. approaching once they have roosted for the evening and calmed down while it's dim can also help.

Best wishes for your flock! :fl

Back
Top Bottom