why are my ducks always hungry??

duckduckchickenrun

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
i feed my ducklings 5 times a day after every 4 to 5 hours and i always make sure to give them 'snacks' in between these 5 hours but no matter how much i feed them they always act like they've been starving!! i dont keep their food out for them 24/7 because they tend to over eat and vomit and then eat their vomit right back up again!! also where i live there are no chick starter or duck starter food so i have to give them whatever is laying around, theyre only a month old but the only thing i feed them is shredded chicken, eggs and tomatoes and sometimes very very little rice just to make them happy.. so can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

i feed my ducklings 5 times a day after every 4 to 5 hours and i always make sure to give them 'snacks' in between these 5 hours but no matter how much i feed them they always act like they've been starving!! i dont keep their food out for them 24/7 because they tend to over eat and vomit and then eat their vomit right back up again!! also where i live there are no chick starter or duck starter food so i have to give them whatever is laying around, theyre only a month old but the only thing i feed them is shredded chicken, eggs and tomatoes and sometimes very very little rice just to make them happy.. so can someone tell me what im doing wrong?
Where do you live?

:welcome
First of all that is not a good diet.
They need to be feed duck starter 24/7. You can order it off the internet. Even NON MEDICATED
chicken starter is all better than chicken strips and tomatoes. Stop the rice. That could be the cause of them vomiting. Because it expands in their gut. And has no protein value at all. Mashed hard boiled eggs are very good for them, I wouldn’t feed the raw. They could pick up bad stuff from raw eggs. It is important that they have access to swimming water too. And plenty of room to run around and strengthen their legs. If they don’t they will sit around get fat and their bodies will be too heavy for the little strength in their legs. Taking them for walks a few times a day really helps. No to much to start. Walk them and when they are tired, give them a little break.
1-2 times a day is a good start. Then work to 3-4 times. When they are stronger I like to make them run after me for a few seconds and then give them a break. This is how I raise my swans. They grow super fast on a good diet that is why their legs have to be strong. I hope this help and you can figure something out for them. :welcome
@The Phantom

You can order it off the internet. Even NON MEDICATED
chicken starter is all better than chicken strips and tomatoes.

Just as a note, medicated chick starter is fine too. Amprolium, which is what chick starters are medicated with nowadays, doesn't hurt ducklings :) So if all you can find is medicated, go with medicated. It's much better than what they are currently being fed.

Just as a note, medicated chick starter is fine too. Amprolium, which is what chick starters are medicated with nowadays, doesn't hurt ducklings :) So if all you can find is medicated, go with medicated. It's much better than what they are currently being fed.
Ok. Yeah I never have fed my baby swans medicated food. Just the baby chickens. I was never sure what would happen to them. Thankyou for the info!

X2. Another medication that is safe is bacitracin. Last year my brooder raised ducklings were feed with bacitracin, and a few years ago I fed feed with amprolium and bacitracin.

Medicated feed is fine for all waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom