Why are there yellow chicks?

chickeneer45

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
I am having my second hatch right now and I am an extreme beginner to chickens and breeding. In my first hatch, I had one chick that was dark brown chipmunky looking, two that were light brown chipmunky looking, and a fourth whitish gray chick. With the same chickens and roosters, my second hatch has so far produced two perfectly yellow chikcks which is extremely odd for me. When my first group of eggs hatched into a variety of colors, my parents were confused as to why they weren't all yellow fluffs. I didn't understand either because whenever I have seen baby chicks in general (at the fair usually or in advertisements) they are all identical yellows. Since then, I have learned that chicks come in a broad range of colors. What I don't understand is why all of a sudden my chicks are all yellow fluffs... I know that they won't grow up to be yellow chickens, but does this mean that they will grow up to be white? If someone could explain to me how this works, that would be great, and also if my chicks will turn out to be pure white.... Thanks.

if you have different breeds of hens than your rooster you could get lots of different colors. if you have different breeds of chickens you get different colored ones. do you have white chickens?

I had two white roosters, but they were at the bottom of the pecking order. I sold them about a day after I set the eggs so I guess they could be the fathers. The only reason that I ask if they will turn white is because I am wondering if that is what typically happens with yellow chicks; or could they turn brown or gray? Also, if I had to bet on who would be the father, it would either be my gray chicken or my brown leghorn since they are at the top of the pecking order. Also, I have a wide variety of colors and breeds.

they turn white
smile.png
. some breeds may get dark feathers around the neck or in the tail feathers but the main color will be white. roosters still breed wether they are at the bottom or top of the pecking order.

To simplify my question, I will explain my logic:
black chick=black grownup chicken
gray chick=gray grownup chicken
white chick=white grownup chicken
brown chick= brown grownup chicken
yellow chick=???
According to my logic, the chick should grow up to be yellow, but of course that is not true... do all yellow chicks grow up to be the same color? Or can they change into a darker color (for example black or brown or gray) once they grow their feathers?
Also, please correct me if my logic is wrong...

I had a brown striped chick that grew up to be black and white. It was an Easter Egger. Also, black and white chicks can grow up to be black chickens, or black and brown chickens. I think there is some correlation between chick color and adult plumage, but I don't think it's as clear cut as grey=grey and brown=brown.

That said, most yellow chicks I know of do end up being white chickens. :)

Chickeneer45,

I am trying to understand similar with a much smaller array of down and feather colorations. Something I have noticed is that even though down of two birds might look similar grossly, up close you can sometime see differences as level of down filaments that are related to differences in adult feathers. My birds are genetically much more of a known quantity yet it will take several generations of monitoring crosses to determine what is actually going on.

Thank you all very much! I am excited to have white chicks since I only have one white chicken in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom