Why can't you use Ivermectin in chickens water for cocci , mites ?

OMG I hate you! LOL I should print that out and take it to the barn.
smile.png

Oh yeah, the subject. heheh

Roundworms, unfortunately, share a number of symptoms with other illnesses or infestations. Drooping wings, loss of weight, diarrrhea, pale combs, listlessness. There are cases where roundworm larvae migrate to the lungs causing breathlessness and other respiratory symptoms.

I think the difference that to me says "coccidiosis" is the color and mucousy texture of their droppings. Coccidiosis always seems to present with a more brown to almost orange with blood at its worst. The droppings seem to present with more mucus. The birds go down more quickly if you watch them daily. That's just my experience. And of course, in extreme infestations, you actually can see the worms.

I think the difference that to me says "coccidiosis" is the color and mucousy texture of their droppings. Coccidiosis always seems to present with a more brown to almost orange with blood at its worst. The droppings seem to present with more mucus. The birds go down more quickly if you watch them daily. That's just my experience. And of course, in extreme infestations, you actually can see the worms

Threehorses, just to be clear, you can only see worms when it is roundworms, the protozoa are microscopic.

Thanks for looking into this. We are going for a ride, wahooooooo!​

you have to use the 1% ivermectin which goes along with gycol in shots for the chickens
I am looking for a dose for my silkie chickens and ducks for lice and mites. i have noromectin 1% solution and am wondering if you can help me make sense of your post. I didnt understand what you posted. thanks so much if you can help.

Treatment:
1-teaspoon amprolium (20 percent) per gallon drinking water for 5 days (this is not an antibiotic)
A broad spectrum antibiotic to guard against secondary infections (yoghurt will restore the gut flora of the bird and make this more effective).
Follow this treatment with a multi vitamin supplement (especially A and K)
a regular dose of garlic in their feed also helps and is a great natural wormer.

Thank You for so much information! I am wondering and just want to clarify. It says "following the treatment" does that mean, after the 5 days of worm treating I would add the vitamin supplement to the water?
I keep reading suggestions of garlic, I am wondering how exactly i would add garlic to their feed?
As far as the horses, btw, I purchased a huge former hayfield for my horses last year here in Arkansas. I made sure their guts were as parasite free as I could get them before I put them on this pasture. I keep them wormed! I bought a mare from Kentucky that came up with ivermectin resistant worms( three years ago)! After many bouts of moxidectrin (which is about $10 a dose) for 15 horses, the situation came under control but was really gross for a while. (Long worms crawled in the horses feces-
sickbyc.gif
uggh).
that sounds pretty ....horror movie-ish. poor horses.

Hi I am wondering the breed of the bird on your profile picture. Is it a turkey? What breed is it?

Hi I am wondering the breed of the bird on your profile picture. Is it some sort of silkie mix or a frizzle?

Ivermectin won't kill lice, I tried, and studies show that it's not an effective poultry wormer. The usual recommended dose is 0.2mg/kg, which is 0.02ml per 2.2 pounds, but I did see one reference to using twice that.

-Kathy

Hi Andreacroyle, That rooster in my avatar is Rocky. He was a mix of Polish and Cochin. He inspired me to start on my own breed, which has been pretty fun. He was able to lift and lower that little poof on his head according to his mood, which was pretty neat. I've got several roosters who look like him, plus I have been playing around with full size sizzles, thanks for asking.

I believe Ivermectin kills lice and mites if you check. To my knowledge it works on most all parasites internally and externally.
http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens

Ivermectin will not kill feather lice... Believe me, I tried orally, by injection and topically, zero lice killed. Studies show that it's an ineffective poultry wormer when given at the recommended dose.

This is one of those studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.
PMID: 2816174 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-Kathy

I noticed a couple of misinformations in this thread that I thought I should correct.
big_smile.png

• The pour on ivermectin is not 5%, it's 0.05%
  • The 20% Corid dose is not 1 teaspoon. See the picture for correct doses

-Kathy

Rocky. He was a mix of Polish and Cochin. He inspired me to start on my own breed, which has been pretty fun. He was able to lift and lower that little poof on his head according to his mood, which was pretty neat.
My muscovy ducks raise their "mohawks" when they are scared. it's really cool. Rocky is super pretty. I would like to see more pics of your breed. Do you have them posted on a thread somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom