Why did my hen stop laying?

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Jan 5, 2023
I had a hen, Bananito, who I am supposing had an issue with an eggshell gland. I processed her this morning because she stopped laying eggs. When she did lay eggs though, the eggs were very weak shelled. The last egg she laid had a strong eggshell on the bottom, but only membrane on top. I'm thinking that there was something with her eggshell gland, but I didn't even see it. Aside from the eggs, she was unhealthy. I noticed some blackened skin near her butt. Her guts were a little black-ish too. It looked like her oviduct had changed positions somehow. The day before she died, she went into the nest, and made the sounds she used to make when she was going to lay an egg. After a few minutes, however she hopped out and ran away without laying an egg. She was very aggressive and flighty. Nearer the end of her life she started attacking me in the nest. No hen that I know (save some people's broodies) will peck me like that.

Now I have some questions. Why did she lay weak shelled eggs? Why did the oviduct look so weird? And, why was she so aggressive?

Right now, a lot of us are having issues with reduced egg-laying due to the heat and/or early molting.

I supplement their feed by having a bowl of oyster shell available. If they need it, they eat it. So given I do that, I had a hen that rarely lays eggs anymore lay one this morning that broke when I flicked a piece of dung off of it. So, she's obviously not eating any of the oyster shell I guess. Almost all my hens will peck at me if they're laying an egg/broody.

Did you take any pictures of the organs of the post mortum (necropsy?) Hens can have reproductive issues and shell gland problems stress, cancer, inflammation of the oviduct (salpingitis,) or infection. I usually do my own necropsies, but I am no expert on them. Have you ever dealt with infectious bronchitis or a respiratory infection in your flock? IB virus is well known to cause shell problems and reproductive disorders. Your state vet could do a more thorough necropsy if you lose another.

Did you take any pictures of the organs of the post mortum (necropsy?) Hens can have reproductive issues and shell gland problems stress, cancer, inflammation of the oviduct (salpingitis,) or infection. I usually do my own necropsies, but I am no expert on them. Have you ever dealt with infectious bronchitis or a respiratory infection in your flock? IB virus is well known to cause shell problems and reproductive disorders. Your state vet could do a more thorough necropsy if you lose another.
I didn't take pictures :( sorry. It may have been salpingitis? I have never dealt with infectious bronchitis or any kind of respiratory infection. I must be lucky. What is IB virus? What kind of infection would I be looking out for? I believe Bananito was part Cuckoo Marans, because she hatched a Cuckoo Marans rooster (from her own egg).

Yeah, I think the state vet would do much better. I'm a dunce at necropsies.

Right now, a lot of us are having issues with reduced egg-laying due to the heat and/or early molting.

I supplement their feed by having a bowl of oyster shell available. If they need it, they eat it. So given I do that, I had a hen that rarely lays eggs anymore lay one this morning that broke when I flicked a piece of dung off of it. So, she's obviously not eating any of the oyster shell I guess. Almost all my hens will peck at me if they're laying an egg/broody.
No, she laid eggs up until a week ago. And why would the bottom be strong and the top just membrane?

I have oyster shell and ground limestone available. None of my other hens will ever peck at me if they are laying an egg, or even if they're broody. Except Bananito.

I have concluded that she was most likely bred with a high production breed and as a result had this issue. Probably something with her egg shell gland. But, I did have a bit of coccidiosis in the flock and are treating my flock with corid as well as garlic. Is coccidiosis known to cause egg shell problems?

Back
Top Bottom